The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is an independent national human rights institution established in accordance with Article 55(14) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and established by the Proclamation No. 210/2000 as well as the amendment proclamation No.1224/2020. It is established with the mission of promoting and protecting the human rights of persons in general and of vulnerable groups, in particular. Since its establishment, the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission, as one of its day-to-day activities, has been engaged in promoting and advocating for the protection of the rights of children which are stipulated under FDRE Constitution, Child Rights Convention, the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child and other ratified international and regional human rights instruments.
The EHRC is implementing a project on gender and child rights in collaboration with the UNICEF. One of the plans under the said project focuses on the review and endorsement of the existing UNCRC monitoring guideline that had been drafted by the Commission previously and building the capacity of relevant staff on the revised guideline. Thus, this Terms of Reference is prepared to help as guidance for the recruitment of an experienced national consultant to undertake such assignment.
Scope of Work
Under the supervision of Women and Children’s Affairs Directorate, the specific tasks of the consultant would be:
- Identify the gaps and shortcomings of the existing UNCRC monitoring guideline of the EHRC,
- Refine and review the UNCRC monitoring guideline in line with the UNCRC,
- Deliver training on the UNCRC monitoring guideline to EHRC relevant staff.
- LLM or master’s degree in other fields, such as social works, gender, human rights, etc.; PhD will be considered an asset;
- Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience in human rights in general, with a special focus on child rights and treaty body reporting;
- Record of participation in at least 2 similar assignments;
- Ability to develop guideline, methods, tools and produce high quality output in a timely manner;
- Experience in different techniques of capacity building, including training;
- Excellent communication, presentation, report writing and analytical skills;
- Fluency, good written and analytical skills in English and Amharic is essential;
- Promotes the vision, mission, values and strategic goals of the Commission.
How to Apply
- The technical and financial proposal together with the CV and a covering letter shall be submitted before application deadline January 28, 2021. While submitting your application, make sure that the subject line is “Application for a Consultancy to Review a Monitoring Guideline for UNCRC and Capacity Building”.
- Interested applicants must submit their technical and financial proposals in two separately sealed envelopes to the Finance and Procurement Directorate in person. Applicants are required to submit copies of license, VAT, supplier registration, etc., together with their technical proposal.
- Qualified women or firms with qualified women are encouraged to apply.
- Interested applicants shall get the full ToR and bid document from the Finance and Procurement Directorate.
- For more Information
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc