Attention German speaking job seekers:
Assistant to GIZ’s Deputy Country Director (m/f)
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #046/2021
GIZ Country Office
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
The GIZ Country Office in Addis Ababa oversees projects in Ethiopia and Djibouti where GIZ works on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the German Federal Ministry of Nutrition and Agriculture (BMEL) and other commissioning parties.
Based on GIZ corporate policy guidelines, the GIZ Country Office in Addis Ababa supports the preparation and implementation of international cooperation projects in Ethiopia and Djibouti, as well as the administrative implementation on site. The GIZ Country Office represents GIZ to government authorities and national partners in Ethiopia and Djibouti, and maintains close communication with the German Embassy and other German implementing organisations as well as with international donors, as well as with GIZ headquarters in Germany.
GIZ seeks a qualified candidate for the position of:
Position: Management Assistant / Office Manager
Contract duration: Unlimited contract
Application deadline: April 18, 2021
Place of Work: GIZ Country Office, Addis Ababa
Responsibilities, Tasks and Duties
- The Management Assistant supports the management and particularly the Deputy Country Director of GIZ Country Office in Addis Ababa.
- S/he works closely with various units of the Country Office as well as with the GIZ Management Team in Ethiopia and Djibouti.
- Furthermore, s/he will maintain close contact with the responsible division at GIZ headquarters in Germany.
- Organizing general office processes and secretariat including correspondence
- Management of diaries and organizing appointments and meetings as well as travel management and prepare travel settlement
- Planning and organizing of internal and external events
- Taking over special assignments according to needs of the Country Management, e.g. concept drafting, steering working groups, supporting change projects
- Diligent information and knowledge management, including filing of documents
- Internal and external correspondence in German and English
- Assistance in preparation of contracts and preparation of confidential documents in German, English or Amharic language
- Writing meeting minutes, reports and preparing presentations in German and English
- Coordinating/forwarding/distributing requests and tasks; coordinates the execution of tasks and follows up on agreements according to deadlines
- Deputizes the Office Manager to the Country Director
- Assists and/or carries out other office activities and any other tasks as assigned;
- Constant upgrade of skills and know-how needed for the position and duties such as secretarial skills, communication and advisory skills, digital literacy, rules and regulations etc.
- University degree (minimum B.A.) in administration or a related subject
- Fluent in writing, reading and speaking in German, Amharic and English. Candidates without fluency in German, Amharic and English will not be shortlisted.
- profound working knowledge of ITC technologies (e.g. MS Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, MS Teams, Sharepoint, OneNote) and experience with SAP and document management systems;
- excellent written and oral communication/expression
- A minimum of 4 years working experience in office management or a related field of work, preferable in an international context.
- Excellent working knowledge of telecommunication systems (telephone, e-mail)
- Study and/or work experience in an English or German speaking country is an advantage
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently in a very fast-paced office environment
- High level of service-orientation
- Takes over responsibility for the tasks assigned to her/him and carries them out independently; proactive approach.
Other knowledge and additional competencies
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Teamwork, communication skills, resilience and flexibility
- High intercultural sensitivity
- High level of digital literacy
- Discretion, loyalty and integrity
- Willingness to learn, improve and upgrade skills as required by the tasks to be performed
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: [email protected]. Either the CV or motivation letter must be provided in German language.
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Assitant to Deputy Country director #046/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Qualification BA/BSc