About Samaritan’s Purse
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. Samaritan’s Purse is privileged to be part of the humanitarian effort in Ethiopia and legally registered as foreign charity to work in Ethiopia since October 08, 2018.
Open Position: 1
The Child Protection Officer is responsible for the design and implementation of a community-based child protection program focusing on children living in different care arrangement. He/she will be responsible for the case management, monitoring of children and establishing referral networks and coordination with key stakeholders working in North Wollo Zone of Amhara Region. At times the Child Protection Officer may be called upon to fulfill duties not directly involved with this job description.
· Implementing child protection activities that prevent and respond to violence, exploitation and abuse against children.
· Ensuring protective environment framework where all actors from children and health workers to governments and the private sector live up to their responsibilities to ensure that children are protected from abuse and exploitation
· Manage and support the individual case management process including identification, documentation and referrals.
· Provide problem-solving solutions to community workers.
· Coordinate with other agencies relating to interagency Child Protection and psychosocial issues arising within the response region.
· Liaise with local authority leadership, school communities, community and religious leaders regarding Child Protection and psychosocial issues to be addressed at the community level.
· Facilitate regular meetings with local community leaders (zone leaders) regarding community-based child protection and psycho-social interventions and actions;
· Facilitate participatory analysis and planning at Woreda levels to identify and prioritize risks posed to children;
· Provide CP community Workers with technical support in their needs to handle complex cases.
· Facilitating Child friendly space through constituently supporting assigned community mobilisers.
· Preparing outreach activities on child prevention of child protection issue, organizing awareness raising events on children’s day.
· In collaboration with relevant stakeholders, define implementation modalities of cash assistance (identification and registration of beneficiaries, distribution, monitoring, etc.)
· Conduct identification, assessment, and selection of HH at risks and Highly vulnerable children , orphaned, child led household and children with disabilities who require additional supports.
· Organize and facilitate training on different child protection topics including PFA, child protection concepts, alternative care arrangements, etc.
· Contribute to the design of an overall programme contingency plan.
· Ensuring child protection is mainstreamed in all programs of SP
· Working together with MHPSS officers , GBV prevention and Response officers on case management and referral pathways to ensure holistic services for children who require MHPSS services.
· Produce timely progress reports, including both quantitative and qualitative information, on CP activities and input into regular situation reports.
· Identify and build links with other partners, ensuring that issues for child protection and psychosocial support are raised and addressed.
· Comply with all relevant Samaritan’s Purse policies and procedures with respect to Child Protection, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
Responsible for the overall project implementation
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Demonstrated sensitivity in diverse, cross-cultural settings.
2. Knowledge of Sphere and established international protection, mainly Minimum standards for child protection in humanitarian actions.
3. Deep understanding on protective environment framework of CP.
4. Strong understanding on community-based child protection approaches.
5. Technical skill on child friendly space activities.
6. Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function.
7. Possesses strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
8. Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
9. Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verb
10. Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
11. Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
12. Must have analytical and report writing skills.
13. Committed to the SP values and ethics
14. Proficient in making clinical decisions in the care of the patient population serving.
15. Mandatory Police clearance if selected to the position to confirm candidates are free from any forms of child abuse records.
Education / Experience Needed
· Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology or Law
· Good communication skill with fluency in written and spoken English;
· Knowledge of community-based child protection approaches, preferably including experience in participatory approaches (PRA/PLA) and child participation methodologies.
· Proven Experience on child Case management, child friendly space preferably on emergency setting.
· Experience on the provision cash and voucher, NFI kits for highly vulnerable children child in alternate care
· Good IT skills including the use of Word and database software
· Demonstrable ability to adapt to changing program priorities and emergency priorities that may arise
· Strong self-starter, able to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
· Positive attitude toward community work with an emphasis on the ability to learn from communities and support innovative approaches to problem-solving
· Commitment to SP Child Protection Policy
· Amharic, required
· English, required
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands will be dependent upon situation and event.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Work in a security context that is fluid
This is a non-contractual document that can be varied from time to time as circumstances dictate. This job description is intended to summarize the main duties and responsibilities of the post; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All SP staff is expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised (maximum of 2 pages and application letter (one Page only) no later than February 6, 2023 to [email protected] . Please write the position title you are applying for in the email subject line, “GChild Protection Officer “
Only candidates that are short-listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5