Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organization committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice. We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Following the new CSP of Plan Ethiopia, the Emerging emergency humanitarian response, Plan is in vast emergency and recovery response throughout the country in all the Program areas.
The position holder will handle different activities of FSL, WASH, health and Nutrition at grass root level.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND MAIN ACTIVITIES
- Support BSFP and TSFP community collective activities including creating awareness on IYCF and Nutrition key messaging during distribution days as well as post distribution at grass root level in close collaboration with HEWs and Health development Armies.
- Support WASH project team in ensuring compliance of all hygiene and sanitation standards and donor regulations.
- Coordinate with water supply and sanitation field staff to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH Projects activities are integrated.
- Development of hygiene promotion topics, hygiene sessions and IEC materials.
- Develop materials to promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Ensure that action is taken to mitigate priority water and sanitation related health risks.
- Provide technical support in preparation of divisional strategies, annual operational plan and budget.
- Contribute to assessments by collecting information through qualitative and quantitative data gathering methods (e.g. surveys, interviews, FGDs);
- Identify local WASH, Health & Nutrition and Child Care Practices/IYCF needs and capacities; and Participate in identifying potential beneficiaries;
- Organize/reorganize committees and clubs like Kebele Disaster Management Committees (KDMC), WASH Committees and Care Support Groups in all levels of facilities, schools and institutions;
- Integrate key messages from soft components of DRR, FSL and WASH.
- Plan and conduct different dialogues, group discussions and meetings, demonstrations (i.e. hygiene promotion and disaster risk preparedness and response exercises with the committees and key people in the community.
- Involve community members in planning and promotion of WASH.
- Utilize participatory approach when mobilizing the community;
- Create awareness on the use of water treatment technologies and water chemicals and facilitate the link between the community and private vendors as well as promotion on positive health seeking behavior;
- Contribute in the development of protocols/standard operating procedures, IEC materials, and tools/methodology in collaboration with the committees;
- Identify training needs, committee co-facilitators and participants;
- Conduct relevant trainings (also to include coaching and on-the-job training) for local communities using participation learning techniques;
- Provide technical support to committees on community training preparation;
- Organize and conduct the training at decentralized place (in village level).
- Organize meetings with the community leaders to collect data and feedback on project implementation;
- Collect security related information and giving updates to the ER Field Coordinator;
- Contribute monthly activity reports and provide regular written report according to the PIE schedule and format;
- Maintain detailed program records and up to date paper work for all duties as for agreed upon formats of PIE/donors requirement;
- Prepare (in collaboration with supervisor) and implement work plan.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- BA degree or Diploma in Public Health, Social Work, Sociology, Development Studies, Community or Cooperative Development, Community Health, Home Economics and other related subject.
- Minimum of 2 years NGO related work experience for degree holders and 4 years of related work experience for diploma holders either as community facilitator or community development agent.
- Experience in training, familiarity with stimulation/awareness methods, knowledge in child development and in nutrition issues, DRR, Hygiene Promotion
- Motorbikes Driving License
- Previous experience in resilience related work at community level is an advantage;
- Good team spirit and ability to establish good relations with other people, organization and activity supervision skills,
- capacity to manage priorities, precision, autonomy, creativity, flexibility
- Good knowledge of the area and local custom
- Basic computer skill (desirable and advantageous)
- Problem solving and conflict management skills;
- Gender and culture sensitivity;
- Community facilitation skills;
- Good knowledge of Local language, Amharic and English languages;
- Report writing skills
- The job holder must be committed to reside in the rural community after employment
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
· Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· We are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated links.
· Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
· Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5