TechnoServe Ethiopia is recruiting for an operations guru to assist the Chief of Party in leading the implementation of a five-year program. If you want to be a part of a project from its inception this is the opportune moment to join TechnoServe as we move to the next phase of impact within the Ethiopian coffee industry.
If you are comfortable managing project operations, excel at developing long-term relationships with diverse stakeholders, see tasks through to completion, can see both the big picture and the details, are happy to roll up your sleeves an ensure that quality ensues, and if you are passionate about Ethiopia and coffee, you may be exactly the person that we are looking for!
In a nutshell, as the Deputy Chief of Party you will complement the Chief of Party to deliver high impact by managing operations efficiently, analyzing coffee sector development, collaborating with local and international stakeholders and government entities, and supporting research and development. You are a member of the leadership team, act as COP during her/his absence and are uniquely responsible for the enabling environment/industry development component of the project. You will supervise, advise, take on projects, and fill gaps when needed.
The project will help farmers boost productivity and expand trade. Specifically, the Regrow Yirga program seeks to serve 42,000+ farmers, 45+ processing businesses, and coffee industry service providers. The project will launch an innovative Farmer Stumping Fund which will facilitate direct incentive (tools or cash) transfers to farmers to encourage tree rejuvination which has the potential to be scaled up to over 1 million coffee farmers nation-wide.
This USD 15 million project finds its roots in TechnoServe’s 10+ years of experience working with the coffee farmers in Ethiopia. Our work was recently honored as the “Origin Charity of the Year” by the National Coffee Association – the leading trade organization for the coffee industry in the United States.
What we Offer
We offer competitive salaries and career growth opportunities. We offer online learning resources from top universities. We provide regular training to all our staff to equip you with the coffee-specific technical know-how for you to excel. We provide autonomy in your job and freedom to bring in new ideas and initiatives. You get to be part of a stellar team and shape the project from its inception. You will be challenged and grow as a professional. We offer a diverse team environment and highly encourage women and underrepresented groups to apply. And of course… we serve great coffee and host regular fun team activities.
Our ideal candidate –
1. Has a strong, demonstrated experience in leading operations, projects and managing teams with at least 7 years of progressively wider management responsibility (or a master’s degree with at least 5 years of management experience)
2. Has a Bachelor’s degree in agricultural economics, international relations, business administration or a related field
3. Is a great networker with excellent written and verbal communication skills (both Amharic and English). Experience effectively interacting with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts to find win-win solutions
4. Deeply understands the Ethiopian coffee industry or is ready to wholeheartedly dive in feet first and learn
5. Is passionate about creating a positive impact and believes in the power of the private sector
6. Embraces our values of collegiality (we stick our necks out for each other), integrity (doing the ‘right thing’ regardless), resourcefulness (solve problems) and results (bias for action)
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Manager
- Qualification BA/BSc