Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #025/2020
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
We have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. Of our 18,260 employees in some 120 countries, almost 70 per cent are national personnel working in the field.
As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards with regard to transparency and accountability. German and European values are central to our work. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments benefit from our services, too.
The Green Innovation Centers (GIC) supports the Ethiopian government with the development of the agricultural sector to improve the food supply chain, foster income generation opportunities and target employment creation. The focal area of the project is to support and improve the wheat, faba bean and honey value chains through the promotion of modern agricultural technologies, tailored trainings in Good Agriculture Practices (GAP), high quality seeds and agricultural inputs as well as agro-processing and marketing. The GIC implements its activities in the so-called Ethiopian Wheat Belt in Oromia and West Gojam and South Wollo in Amhara.
Currently the Green Innovation Centre is looking a qualified candidate as per the below details.
The driver is responsible for
- Safely and responsibly performing all official travel using official vehicles
- Regularly servicing and looking after official vehicles
- Taking account of all available information on road conditions, accessible routes and locations
- Running official errands and
- Assisting with other office work
The driver performs the following tasks:
- Provides passenger transport in an official car for office, project or programme staff, official visitors and guests
- Runs errands for the project, programme or office, e.g. sending letters and messages, paying bills and buying smaller quantities of office supplies
- Helps with transporting goods
- Completes the vehicle log correctly and conscientiously in accordance with GIZ standards
- Cleans the interior and exterior of the vehicle(s) regularly
- Checks oil, water, brakes and brake liquid, tyre pressure, battery levels and the entire vehicle, monthly or every 5,000 km (whichever is first), headlights, brakes, bodywork for dents etc.
- Is responsible for the project vehicle documents and their good condition, keeping a vehicle log and recording monthly maintenance
- Calculates monthly petrol, oil and lubricant consumption for the daily cash fund and for forwarding monthly vouchers to cost accounting
- Reports need for service and carries out minor repairs
- Immediately reports all involvement of the project or office vehicle in accidents, including minor accidents, damage, loss or theft of vehicle fittings
- Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers
Other duties/additional tasks
- Assists other colleagues as needed in the project, programme or office if there is no travel pending, carries out other office work on request
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Secondary school education
- Holds a valid driver’s licence
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience as a driver with references
- No major accidents in the past 3 years
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good knowledge of English
- Discipline and punctuality
- Resilience and patience
- Familiarity with city, Amhara Region
- Appropriate appearance and attire (possibly uniform, friendly manner with all passengers)
- Ensures unrestricted availability of vehicles at all times and reports restrictions immediately
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Driver #025 Bahir Dar’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
- Address Bahir Dar, Amhara
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc