- General Information
Humanity and Inclusion (former Handicap International) is an independent and impartial aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions. It is a non-governmental, non-religious, non-political and non-profit making organization.
|Funding body:||USAID/BHA||Size of budget managed :|
|Duration of funding (project)||9 months|
|Size of team||21 (twenty-one) persons:|
Senior Protection Team Supervisor, Psychosocial Officer, Community Mobilizer, Logistics Assistant and WASH Assistant
|Number of persons directly manage and supervise||17 persons|
|Base||Duty Base: Addis Ababa – with travel to the field bases/sites (Somali region (Liben zone- Filtu, Deka Suftu, Kersa Dula, and Dolo Ado Woredas), Benishangul Gumuz (Kamashi and Agelo Meti) and Gambella Region (Itang Woreda).||Travel||Yes.|
(field support to Somali, Gambella and Benshangul Gumuz regions.
The Protection Project Manager (PM) will be based in Addis Ababa, and works under the direct supervision of the Operational Coordinator (OC). The project manager will be responsible to ensure the overall implementation of the project’s activities implemented in Gambella and Benshangul Gumuz regions including planning of the activities, monitoring and reporting, budget management, technical support related to protection provided to the team members, communication and coordination through regular meetings with team members, operational coordinator and other actors and partners.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES OF THE EMPLOYEE
Under the responsibility of the Operation Manager, s/he will be responsible for:
Defining the strategy of intervention within the project and related operational modalities and tools;
- Setting up and ensuring the continuous monitoring of the activities under your management including qualitative and quantitative monitoring;
- Recruiting, training and managing the team under your responsibility, including regular meeting and guidance, development of individual action plans when necessary;
- In coordination with the logistics and the administrative departments, ensuring the respect of the administrative and logistics procedures within the project under your management;
- Regularly reporting on the above activities (statistic, review monthly objectives, etc.) as per requested by your line manager;
- Using appropriate HI tools and/or participate to the development of new technical tools in coordination with the technical advisors upon needs of your activities (IEC material, training tools, etc…).
- Ensuring external coordination and partnership operational management;
In coordination with your line manager, you represent Handicap International in the project area with any relevant stakeholders, local, national and international partners, local and provincial authorities in order to facilitate the implementation of project’s activities;
- You participate when needed/relevant to the external coordination meetings relative to your field of intervention mainly at local level.
Throughout the life of the project, the Emergency Project Manager is expected to work with the following people and organizations:
Main internal Interfaces
Main External Interfaces
- You contribute to the production & review of project documentation and tools;
- You ensure a proper planning and implementation of the project’s activities according to the defined strategy and targets;
- You ensure the coherence and the homogeneity of the project under your responsibility (methodologies, indicators and results follow up);
- You supervise the implementation of the project through the management of the team under your responsibility;
- You organize and animate team meetings as frequently as possible;
- You organize field visits on a regular basis;
- You inform your line manager of any relevant issue related to the project implementation;
- You ensure a monthly follow up of the project indicators.
- Define project’s needs and organize the project’s resources efficiently to ensure the achievement of expected project’s results;
- Ensure a proper follow-up of donated items (stock reconciliation) in collaboration with the Logistics department;
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- You ensure strict application and respect of the Internal Regulation by your related staff.
- You define, with each member of your staff, his action plan and delay for reaching defined goals (IAP);
- You define and implement the required training;
- You support and advise your team in the implementation of their IAP;
- You ensure feedback towards your team about issues potentially raised by them;
- You ensure a good communication – coordination – information level of each member of your team through regular coordination meetings (or other if needed);
- You are concerned and aware on the personal and professional evolution of each member of your staff, and its development within the mission: individual interviews, oral and written evaluations;
- You ensure, together with HR officer, conflict resolution (personal and professional) within your team;
- You propose to your line manager relevant needed adaptation to the organizational chart of the mission and contribute to its implementation (job descriptions, etc.);
- You support your staff in their management duty: coordination meetings, individual interviews, etc.
§ You contribute to ensure a progressive nationalization of expatriate project positions throughout the period (action plan, milestone, etc.).
- Attend internal coordination meetings (weekly base meetings or other if required);
- Liaise with the HI Technical Resources Unit in order to get the appropriate support to ensure quality requirements are met;
- Liaise with support departments (Finance, Human Resources & Logistics) in regards with the project activities and in compliance with HI procedures & tools;
- Ensure an effective coordination with other Project Managers of the mission.
- Through the supervision of the Database Officer, you ensure that data related to the project under your management are collected and compiled in the project database;
- You provide your colleagues with statistical data and analysis on the activities under your responsibility;
- You prepare statistical reports that will document the project.
- You are in charge of the PM Box for the project under your responsibility and you consolidate information provided by officers under your management;
- You are in charge of the project part of the monthly situation report (SITREP) by providing relevant data related to your position and to your team activities (consolidation of information from your team);
- You provide regular reporting on your activities to your line manager upon his/her solicitation (coordination meeting, workshop meeting, etc.);
- You prepare donor reports and you participate in proposal writing under the supervision of your line manager;
- You provide the desk officer with a mission report and/or handover document at the end of your contract;
- You debrief at HQ at the end of your mission (and during home-break if applicable).
RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPLEMENTING THE SAFEGUARDING POLICIES AT PROJECT LEVEL
- Ensure respect of HI’s policies as well as their implementation at all levels in project locations;
- Ensure staff members receive appropriate training on those policies (Child Protection and Child Safeguarding Policy, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse [PSEA] policy, Anti-fraud and anti-corruption policy, Code of Conduct) and compliance, including from partners and local actors;
- Ensure reporting mechanisms are implemented and accessible for persons with specific needs in the working areas;
- Ensure specific HI’s code of conduct, PSEA Key’s messages and posters are visible in HI’s office and in the field of HI’s activities;
- Report immediately without investigation any concern, suspicion or incident to the OC related to child protection, safeguarding and PSEA;
Education & Qualification
– Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Child Development, Humanitarian Aid Studies or other related field.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in humanitarian context, preferably in emergency, at a managerial position
- At least 1 year of professional experience working in protection and psychosocial support response and/or in promoting non-discrimination, disability inclusion through an intersectional approach.
- Proven ability to team management and work in functional links with other teams
- Experience in MHPSS and WASH (additional to protection) projects would be a strong asset
§ Strong experience and knowledge on protection in humanitarian settings, and/or Child Protection and/or Community-based approach;
§ Strong ability to provide qualitative protection reports and analysis;
§ Experience in project management including budget follow-up and monitoring tools;
§ Good knowledge of data collection, analysis and reporting following humanitarian and data-protection principles as well as minimum standards;
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Ability to conduct regular field visits;
- High degree of confidentiality.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with teams and develop team spirit.
Knowledge of working area language Preferable (Amharic and Somali).
- Diligence and attention to detail.
- Never been convicted, free from khat, smoking, alcohol and substance abuse addictions.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: 9 Months (Immediately).
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria should fill in the attached application form Humanity & Inclusion – Job application form updated and submit it with a 1 page motivation letter and email it at [email protected] on or before the above mentioned deadline.
Please clearly state the position you apply in the subject line of your email otherwise rejected automatically. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for exam/interview no phone calls please.
We’re committed to safeguarding and promoting child protection and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This position involves working with beneficiaries and is subject to strict safer recruitment checks. The successful candidate will be required to complete a police check and sign self-declaration form to help us verify your suitability to work with children including checks with past employers.
Humanity & Inclusion is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes women and persons with disabilities to apply.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Manager
- Qualification BA/BSc
- Text Area field Salary: 48,252 -54,216 ETB depending on the experience