Fighting Inequality Program Manager (Women Empowerment/Youth Engagement/Advocacy) (Re-advertised)
Dan Church Aid (DCA) DCA is a Danish Humanitarian and Development organization working to assist and empower people affected by poverty and disasters to live a life of dignity. In Ethiopia, DCA’s area of works includes humanitarian response, food security, Resilience building of vulnerable community members, and Gender and capacity building of civil society organizations.
Currently, DCA Ethiopia Office is looking for a competent Fight Inequality Program Manager for its Head Office- Addis Ababa. The Fighting Inequality Program Manager will contribute to the successful management and lead the implementation of DCA Objective.
Vacancy Number: DCA-ET/VA- 017/2023
Description of Position
The PM will contribute to DCA Ethiopia and its partners’ work in Fighting Extreme Inequalities with a particular focus on youth engagement and women empowerment; he/she will also lead on key cross-cutting issues such as gender, advocacy, and rights-based approach. In collaboration with others in the team, will facilitate capacity building of DCA and partner staff in cross-cutting issues. This position reports directly to the Head of Programme (HoP)
Over all Responsibilities of the Job:
- In close collaboration with the Head of Programme, take overall responsibility to manage the Fighting Inequality thematic area efficiently and effectively with special focus on Women Empowerment, Youth Engagement, and Advocacy of the DCA Ethiopia Country Programme (DCA direct and partner projects), including its financial aspects.
- In collaboration with DCA programme team and partners, achieve a well-developed, monitored, evaluated, and managed Fighting Inequality corresponds to DCA Country Programme goals.
- The PM will also be involved in programme development, monitoring and documentation of learning particularity in the areas related to advocacy, and gender and youth development.
Main Tasks – Detailed
Project Implementation and project budget management
- Lead in project planning, implementation, and budgeting of projects in Fighting Inequality thematic areas.
- In collaboration with finance team, establish regular project budget review and rollout
- In collaboration with HoP, assess feasibility of new partner project proposals, explore alternative options, and where appropriate, assist partners in developing proposals and recommendation of new proposals for funding.
- Ensure partner reports are received on time and a completion report is produced at the end of the project.
- Closely follow the budget utilization of select partners and take appropriate corrective actions (in consultation with finance) to ensure the project budget is used timely for the intended purpose
- In consultation with the HoP and Finance team, provide appropriate and timely solution to partner issues related to thematic area or issues of accountability.
- Closely follow timely fund transfer for select partner projects
Monitoring and Evaluation and learning
- In discussion with the HoP and in coordination with partners, plan for field visits of the projects including preparing a brief note/ToR prior to the visit and developing a full monitoring report after returning from the field.
- In collaboration with the MEAL PM&E Manager, ensure partner reporting systems capture cross-cutting issues
- In collaboration with the relevant staff (finance and M&E), organize in partner project monitoring visits and ensure that the partners’ projects are visited timely and feedback is given to partners with portfolio
- In collaboration with the M&E team, document learning from DCA and partners projects
- In collaboration with the programme managers and partners, do communication for advocacy and/or promoting DCA/partner work
- Take part in government and DCA country report preparation
- Involve in quarter reviews of DCA programme and ensure that cross-cutting issues are addressed in the project planning and implementation
Needs Assessment and Planning
- Initiate specialized research/need assessment particularly related to youth development and women empowerment
- Take active part in development of strategic focus of youth development, women empowerment, and cross-cutting issues
- As assigned, take part in needs assessment processes.
- Take part in proposal development and ensure that cross-cutting issues (gender, youth development, RBA, partnership and capacity building of local actors) is appropriately considered in projects
- Participate in capacity assessment of DCA partner organizations working in Fighting Inequality
- Support assessment of DCA and partner organizations capacity on issues related to active citizenship, advocacy, gender transformative programming, inclusion, etc.
- Identify need-based training for DCA and partner organizations and give input to their capacity building/strengthening plan
Mainstreaming cross-cutting issues
- Periodically conduct mainstreaming analysis of gender, rights-based approach, etc. and that DCA Ethiopia work does not aggravate the vulnerability and existing inequalities in the community
- Support gender transformative project development.
- Lead on specialised research to generate evidence as required for advocacy inputs
Networking and Representation
- Identify and engage with networks relevant to Fighting Inequality
- In consultation with the HoP, represent DCA at different forums
- Perform other duties as assigned by the line manager.
Type of Contract: Two years Contract with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Reporting to: Head of Program
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
- Minimum MA Degree in Social Sciences
- At least 5 years’ demonstrable experience leading the design and implementation of relevant programs either in the private sector or NGOs.
- Project management experience and ability to conduct technical and financial planning of operations
- Experience in Gender Transformative Programming.
- A good understanding of the cultural barriers affecting youth and their agency in the local context.
- Practical knowledge of implementing employ ability and entrepreneurship programs with actors and stakeholders such as TVETs and other national government agencies, is a plus.
- Experience in Agri-business is a plus.
- Experience in providing training and capacity building for staff
- Experience with working with accountability issues and/or rights-based approach is an added value.
- Excellent written and spoken English language.
- Ability to understand and respect the cultural, religious and political environment and to work well with staff and local authorities in a diplomatic manner.
- Thorough and detail oriented
- Ability to work in fast-paced work environment.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status and religious, political or ethnic affiliation. Please don’t mention your religious or ethnic affiliation in your application.
Please submit only CV and Application letter
- Address Ethiopia