At Laterite, we transform the way development research is done. Our mission is to deploy the most innovative research methods and the latest academic thinking to design effective responses to development issues. We provide three types of services to clients: i) comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions; ii) research services, from the design of large-scale research projects through to analysis; and iii) strategic and technical advice to public and private sector clients. We have successfully completed over 100 research projects, working with internationally recognized universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations and several Government ministries and agencies.
Laterite currently operates in Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, India and the Netherlands. Laterite together brings more than 40 full time local and international staff, who work with a team of over 400 enumerators.
The Laterite Model
- We believe that impact is a long-term endeavor that requires being embedded in the local context:In order to achieve policy impact through research it is important to establish a strong local presence. Delivering high quality research and advice requires building a local team and data collection systems, understanding the context, establishing close working relationships with key players and understanding their constraints and motivations.
- We are rigorous and structured, but not rigid in our choice of analytic methods: Our mission is to deploy the most innovative research methods to design effective responses to development issues. We do not define ourselves by a particular method or approach (e.g. RCTs), but by our ability to embrace and deploy new technologies and research methodologies in our project work. We work in an anti-disciplinary way, by borrowing methods not only from econometrics but other fields as well.
- We innovate with every opportunity:With every new challenge and opportunity we try to innovate, always with the objective of creating new and better ways of conducting research in low-resource country contexts. The Laterite Lab, our internal research development arm, catalyzes our research efforts and aims to equip our teams with new research methods and techniques. Our aim is not only to acquire and implement new methods, but to create new methods.
You can find out more about Laterite on our website at: www.laterite.com
We are looking for a Finance and Accounts Associate who will provide support with managing our accounting and finance functions for the Ethiopia office.
The role will perform the following responsibilities:
- Perform book-keeping for all expenses and revenues in the Ethiopia office
- Manage the filing of all contracts, invoices, taxes and salary slips and other relevant documents
- Review all field expenses including sitting with enumerators for reconciliation of budget with actual expenses
- Process payments for any project related expenses and also supplier payments
- Ensure controls for certain project-related expenses and increase our cost-efficiency by diversifying and improving our agreements with suppliers
- Working with the tax advisors, ensure all taxes are withheld and remitted as per Ethiopian tax law
- Enter accounting data into QuickBooks
- Manage office equipment (printers, furniture, office keys, etc) and report any issues to the management
- Help with logistics for enumerator training, workshops and meetings (booking rooms, catering, hiring furniture, organizing transport, etc)
- BA Degree in Accounting/Finance (Masters, CA or CFA qualification is a plus)
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting software and excellent knowledge of accounting, book-keeping and forecasting and operations management, and proficiency in MS Office especially Excel
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Qualification BA/BSc