Position Title: Freelance Translator/Editor ( Afaregna, Amharic, English, Oromifa, Somaligna and Tigregna)
Duration of contract: Definite to be engaged when a need arises
Remuneration: As per organization pay scale
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non‐profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing. We are a $560m enterprise based in Washington, DC, operating in the private and public sectors in more than 65 countries.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI/Ethiopia is an innovative network member of PSI with a team of more than 200 people passionate about marketing and dedicated to serving Sara! Since 2003, we have marketed products and led programs to prevent and treat HIV, improve reproductive health for youth and adolescents, build markets for sanitation and support the health system to deliver non-communicable diseases services. At PSI/Ethiopia we do more than simply provide products and services, we seek to create true change – by making markets work for the poor – to increase the use of critical health products and services that are available, affordable, and desirable to the most vulnerable Ethiopian people.
We are looking for Translator/Editor who is responsible for the translation and edition of health communication materials from from English to Amharic, Oromifa, Tigrigna, Afar’af or Sidamigna Language and vice versa. This role is hands-on and often involves working as part of a team. The Translator/Editor must be able to complete a wide range of activities requiring clear communication, excellent understanding of major health development interventions in the country and attention to detail. They must work well under pressure without compromising quality and deadline.
Sounds like you? Read on! Your contribution
You will provide translation/editing services for different Programs and Department. More specifically, you will
- Read source documents critically and clearly understand the intention and context of the material to be translated/edited.
- Work closely with the program or department focal person to ascertain that the work is on the right track.
- Translate/edit the source material in a way that can easily be understood by the intended audience.
- Submit neatly crafted document in soft copy with editable version.
- Make corrections as per the feedback given by the program or department focal person.
- When necessary, attend on consultative meetings on the contents embodied in the material.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Literatures, Communications, Journalism, Health Education or related fields.
- Minimum of 4 years direct experience in translating/editing health related materials
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and make rational decisions.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines.
- Very good command on Microsoft Office.
How to Apply
Are you intrigued? Apply!
1. Please fill out the application form using the following link which will take 5 to 10 minutes. Online Application Form
2. After completing the online application then send us your CV and application letter directly through [email protected]
3. Clearly mark in the subject line “Application for Freelance Translator or Editor Position”
4. If you successfully make your application, you will receive an automatic response acknowledging receipt of your application. If not check again your subject line.
5. Application deadline March 15, 2021.
We’ll call or e-mail you back if there is a good fit on both sides.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Qualification BA/BSc