The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response. Currently, IRC is operating in the Oromia, Benishangul, Tigray, SNNPR and Somali regions on Emergency Response, refugee’s assistance and livelihood projects.
Health Officer is responsible for leading surge team and proper implementation of Emergency Health response project at woreda level, focusing on IDPs site and will monitor targeted health facilities at the project implementation areas. She/he will work closely with Health manager and Senior health officer based in Shire and liaise the health care services with woreda health office to enhance their participation and involvement in prevention, awareness creation and capacity building of woreda based government health staff (HWs & HEWs) and s/he will provide ongoing technical support for gov’t health care providers (HWs and HEWs).
This position will be based at different woredas of North West/Semen Merabawi/ Zone and will directly report to the Health manager/Senior Health Officer based in Shire field office.
- The health and nutrition officer/Team leader is responsible for all tasks related to the team and service delivery.
- Responsible for team plan movement and ensure all service package components are delivered.
- S/He specifically responsible for adult and under five year medical consultation and nutrition service package and supported by the team members.
- Responsible for all quarterly supplies related issues (In/Out & stock balance) & timely flag of shortage.
- Responsible for vehicle utilization, administrative management including fuel & travels.
- Team capacitating (WoHo staff, HEWs and other Nurses)
- Responsible for the link between the team and the zonal/woreda administrations, WoHo and service recipient community.
- Represent IRC and attend necessary meetings within the woreda during emergencies, planning, responding and monitoring.
- Ensure other team members are doing correct tally, recording, registering and filling.
- Verify, compile and share complete timely reports to woreda and regional data manger.
- Early communicate any shortfalls (programmatic and administrative issues to SRHB &/or supporting partners).
- Ensure that emergency health, Disease surveillance and nutrition intervention is in accordance with IRC and government guidelines and provide technical support for gov’t health care providers.
- Provide support in developing and implementation of a community risk communication strategy (IEC/BCC)
- Work closely with staff from other sectors (WASH, CWI and NFIs) to ensure integrated approach in program implementation in his/her woreda.
- Provide and/or facilitate trainings and workshops as per the project work plan
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by the supervisor or Health Manager.
- BSc/MSc in public health /MD Degree.
- Minimum work experience of 2 years for BSc Degree, 1 year for MSc/MD holders.
- Basic supervisory/managerial skills with strong inter-personal skills.
- NGO experience in emergency health response project activities is preferable.
- Demonstrable experience in working with communities in participatory approaches and capacity building of health centers.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise implementation of emergency health response projects
- Good technical and report writing skills with computer skills and knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual and ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
- Ability to work under pressure in remote areas and understanding of the cultural context of the local area.
Females are highly encouraged to apply
- Address Tigray
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Qualification BA/BSc