Internal/External Vacancy Announcement
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit dedicated to heal survivors of torture and war trauma. We provide direct care for those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture and war trauma, research and advocate for human rights and end the practice of torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, USA with offices in Africa and the Middle East.
General Description of Role
IT Officer based in Shire will provide management of technology hardware, software, networks, systems, services, projects, training, and support in CVT’s Tigray operations. The IT Officer will report to the Senior Finance and HR Officer, while also closely working with Logistics Officer.
- Set up and maintain appropriate office technology hardware such as laptop and desktop computers, networking devices, storage devices, and other accessories.
- Facilitate procurement of technology network services such as cellular, wifi, etc.
- Partner with trusted vendors to provide technology hardware, software, services, and support as needed.
- Develop and apply custom computer software configurations which conform to IT best-practices.
- Maintain current documentation of technology hardware, software, systems, users, etc.
- Set up and maintain appropriate technology systems and services such as those that facilitate shared communication and collaboration between staff.
- Provide technical support and training to staff on use of computers and softwares, and maintenance of data accessibility, confidentiality, and integrity.
- Ensure that technology systems are securely configured and updated regularly.
- Ensure that data backup and recovery systems are in place, and are routinely tested.
- Partner with staff to address technology problems, assess future needs, and implement creative technology solutions which meet the needs of staff in both on-site and off-site environments.
- Collaborate with INGOs and other organizational IT staff to develop technology policies and procedures for technology tools, data security, technical support, etc, which conform to IT best-practices and which meet organizational compliance requirements.
- Manage technology projects by performing needs assessments, research, testing, planning, training, coordination and maintenance.
- Maintain neutrality regarding any sensitive issues such as religion, ethnicity, disability, minority or political affiliation
- Strong commitment to serve beneficiaries of CVT’s project regardless their religion, gender, minority affiliation or ethnic/political background
- Is strictly committed to respect CVT’s confidentiality policy and refrain from using any information that s/he will know about a client outside of CVT
- Will not approach (potential) beneficiaries for their involvement in non CVT activities without prior approval of CVT supervisor.
- Keep absolute confidentiality on all information managed. Obligated to report any information to the supervisor when the security of CVT staff and/or of CVT beneficiary might become an issue.
- This job profile can be adapted and changed according to the evolution of CVT activities.
Terms of Employment: the contract is effective from February 2022 through January 2023 depending on funding availability and with a possibility of continuation thereafter also depending on the funding availability.
Duty station: Shire, Tigray, Ethiopia
Duration: 1-Year employment agreement
Number of Individuals Recruited: 1 (One)
- First University Degree in Information Technology, Computer science and Computer Engineering
- Demonstrated information technology skills and knowledge to undertake the work described above, with a proven ability to manage office networks, hardware, software, security and support in low resource environments.
- Minimum 4 years of experience working in a similar setting for INGOs. Combination of relevant educational background and experiences may be considered.
- Excellent computer skills, especially strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Must be fluent in Speak and Write in English, and having Knowledge of Local Language is added advantage.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Able to work independently, self-motivated.
- Good team player: able to take direction and work collaboratively with others.
- Flexible and able to adapt to change.
How to Apply
Please write an English letter of application stating clearly, what motivates you to apply for the above position and how your qualifications and experience are relevant to the post. Include a copy of your CV, application letter, and the names and contact information of three references. Do not bring original documents, as these will not be returned to you. Submitting false information will result in your application being disqualified.
Please submit applications with the subject title “IT Officer Position Application [Your Name]”:
In CVT Shire Field office Please e-mail applications to [email protected]. E-mails with attachments should not exceed a total of 1MB.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a written exam and/or interview. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: January 20, 2022 before 5:00pm
Exam date: written and interview exams will be administered the weeks of January 31, 2022 respectively.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Address Shire, Tigray
- Qualification BA/BSc