Chemonics International seeks a Laboratory Supply Chain Advisor- HIV program for the USAID-funded Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project. GHSC-PSM Ethiopia will serve as the primary vehicle through which USAID will procure and furnish health commodities, provide technical assistance to improve the country’s management of the supply chain and collaborate with key international stakeholders to support global and local health initiatives.
The Laboratory Supply Chain Advisor for HIV program is responsible to lead activities related to lab logistics systems established in the country for the ART lab monitoring system and in strengthening areas of the laboratory testing program that affect availability and use of lab commodities and supplies. S/he support monitoring of reagent use, specifications & maintenance of equipment, quality assurance programs, supporting systems for referral linkage. The Laboratory Supply Chain Advisor will report to the USAID GHSC-PSM Health Programs Director.
The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain– Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) Program is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of United States Government (USG)-funded public health initiatives around the world. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, GHSC-PSM will develop and manage a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain.
At the country level, GHSC-PSM supports country strategies and priorities that fall under the following three project objectives:
- Global Commodity Procurement and Logistics
- Systems Strengthening Technical Assistance
- Global collaboration to improve long-term availability of health commodities
The Laboratory Supply Chain Advisor for the HIV program is responsible to lead activities related to lab logistics systems established in the country for the ART lab monitoring system and in strengthening areas of the laboratory testing program that affect availability and use of lab commodities and supplies. S/he support monitoring of reagent use, specifications & maintenance of equipment, quality assurance programs, supporting systems for referral linkage. The Laboratory Supply Chain Advisor will report to the USAID GHSC-PSM Health Programs Director.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Work with Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), Ethiopian Pharmaceutical Supply Agency (EPSA), EPHI, USAID and other counterparts to monitor laboratory commodities supply chain that are used for HIV/AIDS to ensure that the right quantities of laboratory commodities are procured and made available at all levels of the supply chain.
- Provide technical leadership on laboratory commodities management issues, particularly for products used for HIV/AIDS.
- Work with FMOH, EPHI and all stakeholders in the preparation and implementation of laboratory equipment standardization and maintenance strategy for the country.
- Support the laboratory logistics system for HIV/AIDS considering the planned expansion of laboratory testing sites.
- Work with public and private sector partners to implement activities that strengthen management of laboratory logistics across the country.
- Compile, evaluate and maintain the laboratory-related evidence to support advocacy, policy dialogue and planning with the FMOH, EPHI, RHBs and Regional Laboratories and other implementing partners.
- Conduct annual performance review for direct supervisees to ensure evaluation is completed appropriately and on time.
- Coordinate the laboratory logistics specialists for preparation of monthly action plans and progress reports of the laboratory activities according to agreed schedules with the health system strengthening and capacity building manager.
- Provide advice to other PSM staff on technical issues relevant to laboratory-related health policies, strategies, interventions, and innovations.
- Lead the collection and maintaining laboratory logistics related information required for regular reporting to USAID and Headquarter according to timelines as specified in the contract.
- Exhibit Chemonics values and build culture of “Living our Values” within the team
- Understand and adhere to established policies and procedures and promote them throughout GHSC-PSM staff
- Carry out additional responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by Health Programs Director or his/her designee.
Level of Effort and Location
This long-term position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with intermittent travel throughout the program’s target regions as needed.
The USAID GHSC-PSM Laboratory Supply Chain Advisor will report directly to the Health Programs Director or his/her designee.
Qualifications and Desired Attributes:
- Advanced degree in laboratory technology or in related fields.
- Minimum of five years of experience in supply chain management of laboratory commodities
- Significant knowledge and extensive experience in clinical laboratory work including laboratory commodities management.
- Demonstrated ability to work in the public health supply chain environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and implement complex USAID-funded public health programs or projects in a developing country context.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Written and spoken English fluency required.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
How to Apply
To apply, please reply to this e-mail PSMEthiopiaRecru[email protected] and please specify the position title as the subject line in your application and submit no later than May 13, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc