All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of a Team Leader is to coordinate CC project team at field office level. NRC in Ethiopia has been implementing projects in Food Security in Shire in response to the Eritrean refugees and now for IDPs. The programme has so far consisted of cash transfer support to People affected by displacement, training on agronomic practices, provision of agricultural inputs, creating income-earning opportunities (savings systems and support to small-scale businesses) as well as market and value chain assessments, Providing innovative alternative livelihoods options through on and off-farm strategies in order to diversify income sources contribute to resilience and durable solutions. Support smallholder farmers to boost crop and livestock productivity through a specialized resilience design approach complemented by improved access to agricultural inputs (seeds, tools, livestock support etc.).
The following is a brief description of the role.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- Management of project staff- LFS Officers and Assistants
- Implement plan of action for delegated portfolio of CC (X) projects (activities, budget and project documentation)
- Day to day follow of progress in project implementation
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Lead the implementation of context specific Livelihood and food security interventions
- Implement appropriate Livelihood Provisioning, Livelihood Protection and Livelihood Promotion strategies for IDPs, refugee and host communities.
- Submit annual, monthly, mid-term and weekly update/report to line manager.
- Lead implementation of cash basis interventions (Voucher and Cash)
- Ensure compliant receiving and feedback mechanisms are in place to ensure accountability
- Conduct Post Distribution Monitoring (PDMs), Post Planting Surveys (PPS) and Post-Harvest Survey (PHS) to ascertain utilizations of inputs and yields (proportion consumed and sold).
- Ensure quality management and compliance with standards during project implementation
- Participate in labor market assessment and commodity specific agricultural value chain Analysis.
- Provide technical advice, backstopping and training on off-farm and on-farm income generating activities, Business Development Service, Business Group Conflict Resolution mechanisms and other livelihoods related programs to Eritrean Refugees, IDPs and Hosting Communities.
- Ensure that NRC’s objectives are disseminated among the communities and raise their awareness on NRCs approaches, policies and procedures applied in project implementation
- Ensure the involvement of community based organizations/associations and community leaders in identifying target groups for NRC Food Security and Livelihoods activities in the IDP centers and refugee camps and adjacent host community areas.
- Devote to empower the IDP, refugee and hosting communities to enable them manage their interventions to sustain Food Security and Livelihoods Project achievements.
- Ensure equal participation by all segments of the refugee, IDP and hosting communities, taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age, disability and clan affiliation.
- Play an important role in realization of project outputs and outcomes through timely implementation of activities in a well-planned, organized and coordinated manner.
- Provide training and technical support for staffs, stakeholders and beneficiaries
- Ensure LFS beneficiaries are self-employed in different IGA activities through standardized start-up kits and Cash grant supports couple with market linkages, employment creation opportunities through private sector engagement, market center management to attain the intended objectives
- In consultation and under direct supervision of Food Security and Livelihoods Project Manager develop and implement surveys and needs assessment in refugee and host community areas.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Minimum university degree in Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies, Sociology, Business Administration, or related fields an minimum five years working experience in related to the field livelihoods and food security preferably in humanitarian/recovery context refugee and IDP settings.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- INGO experience in refugee camp settings is advantageous
- Computer skill (Micro soft Office Package) is advantageous
- Previous experience on emergency response is advantageous
Context related skills, knowledge and experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- Example: Knowledge of the context in operation
- Example: Knowledge of the Amharic and Tigrigna local language is mandatory.
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
· Handling insecure environments
· Managing resources to optimize results
· Empowering and building trust
· Managing performance and development
· Planning and delivering results
- Address Shire, Tigray
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc