The International Community School of Addis Ababa (ICS) is an early childhood through grade 12 school, offering a holistic, vigorous and inclusive program. An International Baccalaureate Diploma school, accredited in the United States, ICS serves a diverse, multicultural student body on a beautiful, well equipped campus.
Our Mission is to nurture the talents, character and intellect of all learners, challenging them to be a positive influence and empowering them to excel in their world.
ICS is committed to ensuring that all students learn and engage at the highest levels. By providing a Highly Effective and Learning Progressive education, ICS not only ensures that students succeed in meeting high academic standards but also experience opportunities to apply their learning in authentic and meaningful ways.
ICS is a named model Professional Learning Community school, using PLCs to ask our students four critical questions:
- Q1: What do we want our students to know, understand and be able to do?
- Q2: How will we know they know it?
- Q3: What will we do if they don’t know it?
- Q4: What will we do if they already know it?
ICS Addis has a thriving community, with exceptionally supportive leadership, led by Mr Earl Chamberlin. We firmly believe in the importance of continuous professional development of our teachers, with a variety of professional development opportunities, individually and as a PLC team.
Position Description: School Nurse
ICS Addis is recruiting an experienced, motivated and passionate school nurse who will support students in the development of a healthy lifestyle, evaluate the physical conditions or emergency medical needs of students and treat and/or refer them to the appropriate health care facilities/resources as necessary.
Dedicated to care for sick and injured students, provide first aid during school hours , sport events and other school activities, provide emergency care and treatment, provide and maintain confidential counseling and health advice service, maintain medical records for all students and advise parents of immunization or travel vaccination requirements.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in the running of the drop-in clinic.
- Provide first aid, emergency care and treatment as necessary.
- Advise teachers when children should be sent home.
- Care for sick and injured students until collected by their parents.
- Determine when emergency medical services (i.e. ambulance) are to be called.
- Is responsible for keeping records of parent contact and advising them in case of emergencies.
- Safeguard personal and health information learned in the context of the nurse-client relationship and disclose this information (outside of the health care team) only with client consent or when there is a specific ethical, safety or legal obligation to do so.
- Maintain stock of all school first aid kits.
- Provide first aid, emergency care and treatment during sport events and other school activities.
- Maintain medical records for all students.
- Advise parents of immunization or travel vaccination requirements.
- Accompany students on field trips and care for medical needs as required.
- Monitor safe storage, usage, and disposal of medical supplies and drugs.
- Keep nursing records to a high standard, secure and confidential, ensuring the accurate and rapid retrieval of information.
- Record the dispensing of medicine.
- Record daily accidents, incidents and the number of students sent home or referred to hospital and provide statistics for the Supervisor regularly.
- Sanitize and organize the office for daily function.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Officer
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree/ advanced degree in nursing. Advanced degree in area of specialization, experience working in similar international schools and previous experience working in Ethiopia is preferred.
- Experience working in international schools as a school nurse.
- Experience working in Ethiopia, a country in Africa and/or in a developing country with limited outside community medical facilities and resources.
- Must have current basic life support (BLS) certification, or equivalent training.
- Must have good fluency in written & spoken English with strong interpersonal skills and a client-oriented disposition.
- Must be willing to work Saturday and weekends when ICS in hosting a tournament or school activity that requires nursing care.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Able to live and work at high elevations in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Physically fit to meet the needs of the job specifications.
- Able to work in close proximity to others within the nurses’ office.
- Able to work and lead within a dynamic educational environment with a high volume of office visits for diverse reasons.
Interested candidates fulfilling the minimum requirements are invited to send their applications to [email protected] until 7 October 2022.
Note: copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters should not be included with your application. You will provide the documents upon request.
Child Protection – Safe Recruitment Practices
As part of our recruitment practices at our school, employees are required to possess and validate appropriate qualifications for all positions. For all potential hires, we communicate directly with previous references to ensure due diligence within the recruitment process. Once at school, ICS has a professional code of conduct, including Child Protection training reviewed with employees and signed annually.
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10