Embassy of United States of America, Human Resources Office
The U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the below vacant position. To view a current list of all available positions and to apply online, please visit https://et.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
See the below Vacancy announcement on the Embassy Website and apply online. (Note: we no longer accept paper or email applications for advertised jobs)
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: Addis-2021-037
|WORK HOURS: Full-time (40 hours/week)|
SALARY: Ordinarily Resident (OR): Position Grade: FSN-11, – 22,927.00 USD per year.
Not Ordinarily Resident: FP-04
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
|Duration of Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period. |
NOTE: For ordinarily resident employees, salary will be paid in local currency using the established exchange rate.
Basic Function of Position:
Incumbent serves as the infection prevention and control (IPC) specialist and coordinator for CDC Ethiopia’s health security and HIV/TB control programs and the International Infection Control Program (IICP) at CDC headquarters in Atlanta under the direct supervision of Senior Public Health Specialist – TB/HIV in the Care and Treatment Branch. The position is responsible for assisting CDC Ethiopia, IICP and partners in the implementation of activities to strengthen and build IPC capacity in Ethiopia for the prevention and control of healthcare-associated transmission of diseases such as COVID-19. The incumbent serves as the IPC technical advisor and primary liaison between the CDC Ethiopia team and IICP to the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and the Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI), other host governmental ministries, implementing partners, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), collaborating USG agencies, and other CDC programs.
- Medical Degree, or Master’s degree in Public Health, or Master’s Degree in Nursing, is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of public health experience, the 2 years of experience must be either in a clinical health setting or in Infection Control and Prevention in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC) is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) speaking/reading/writing of English is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) speaking/reading/writing of Amharic is required.
(You are required to pass the English Placement Test (EPT) that is conducted by the Human Resources Office).
|Skills and abilities: |
- Position requires a highly motivated and well-trained public health professional with strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff in a team setting to accomplish program goals. Strong oral and written communication skills are required in order to convey program progress, technical requirements, and to develop and maintain effective working relationships with collaborative organizations engaged in IPC activities. Strong working knowledge of computer software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. is required. Experience using Office 365, MS Teams, SharePoint, and other O365 programs and/or willingness to learn new technology is required. Ability to gather, analyze and interpret quantitative data, provide factual and interpretive reports and communicate findings to a variety of audiences is required. Ability to develop, understand and discuss new program design, management and implementation approaches is required. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a high-performance environment under tight deadlines is required. Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required. Basic understanding of overall administrative requirements in support of memoranda of understanding and cooperative agreements is preferred. The incumbent must also have skills in diplomacy in order to work effectively with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), Regional Health Bureaus, Ethiopia Public Health Institute, University partners, World Health Organization (WHO), Department of State (DOS), Embassies, and international public health entities.
|Note: Shortlisted candidates selected for interview will be required to prepare and deliver a short, 10-slide presentation on a project or intervention to improve infection prevention and control practices, or another quality improvement intervention.|
To apply & view current job opportunities, please go to
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc