BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing coordinated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recovery of livelihood of the disaster affected population, including host communities, through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions, and emergency response.
Are you passionate about using technology to improve monitoring and evaluation? We are growing our team to improve the use of technology in M&E. Together we will develop and deploy new data tools, transition from paper to electronic data collection, and improve our data flows.
Reporting directly to the MEAL Coordinator, you will strengthen the MEAL efforts, approaches, and systems to foster use of data for program quality improvement and decision making and support IRC’s global and measurement ambitions of Strategy 100 and the Country Strategic Action Plan. You will oversee the MEAL functions of Ethiopia Country Program.
1. Deployment of technologies for data collection
· Undertaking technology needs assessments for IRC programs to support evidence generation for Strategic Action Plan and programmatic consumption.
· Designing and implementing project plans for countries/programs transitioning to new data collection tools
· Configuration of non-standard project/program indicators in data collection tools
· Ensuring data validation is well embedded in the structure of data collection tools
· Collaborating with program, MEAL, IT, and supply chain teams to plan purchase of devices
· System training and ongoing end-user support for IRC staff and partners
2. Supporting data management, analysis, and visualization
· Set up and maintain database and dashboard for visualizing M&E data using standard XLSX and PBIX templates for all projects in IRC Ethiopia Country Program.
· Support MEAL team in data collection, reporting, management, and real time visualization
· Support in Indicators data tracking and visualization with UpToDate technology applications
· Undertaking data quality assessments for current databases
· Migration or transformation of existing project or country level data into standard data structures
· Providing training to M&E staff on indicator databases and dashboards
3. Understanding user needs and ensuring these needs are well understood throughout the team
· Gathering user feedback on data tools during and after deployment
· Participating in requirements capturing and user acceptance testing (UAT) for new tools
· Sharing user feedback with colleagues in IT and other team feedback
· At least 4 years of professional experience, technology tools use in humanitarian/development work.
· BSc/MSc in Information Science, Computer Science, Data Science, Informatics, Database Management, Statistics, Information Management System or related subject with solid database management knowledge and skills.
· Experience configuring and deploying Commcare, Kobo, Power BI, SQL Server, or Power Apps
· Experience of providing technology support and training
· Knowledge of standard methodologies in database design
· Ability to work independently and efficiently in a multifaceted environment
Due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, this role may initially be working remotely and providing remote support. As travel restrictions lift, the role will transition to an office environment, and travel up to 40% of the time to provide in-person support to colleagues in our country offices.
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible, also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5