The Center for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a World Bank supported center of excellence for education and research at the College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main aim of CDT-Africa is to serve as a platform for equitable access to interventions (medicines, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high-quality capacity development for innovative medical discovery.
As part of this effort, CDT-Africa brings together national, regional and international research institutions, government ministries and private partners to facilitate participatory leadership, interdisciplinary collaboration and knowledge management. This call is related to a new project to pilot a Unit for Health Evidence and Policy.
The Role of the Research Assistant
Assist in the Unit for Health Evidence and Policy within CDT-Africa, at Addis Ababa University.
- Work closely with the PI and post-doctoral fellow to plan and co-ordinate study activities.
- Assisting in establishment of a pilot Unit for Health Evidence and Policy within CDT-Africa, at Addis Ababa University.
- Assist in identifying challenges to research uptake.
- Conduct a qualitative study including write up.
- Participate in piloting and evaluating an approach to improving research uptake.
- Assist and/or lead trouble-shooting for specific activities under the unit.
- Engage in developing framework to guide future research uptake.
- Additional tasks as directed by the Head of the centre or study investigators.
Terms and conditions
- Salary: negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
- Hours of work: are governed by the laws of Ethiopia. However, the nature of the work is such that it might require working overtime and weekends, with due financial compensation.
- Holidays: are governed by the rules of Addis Ababa University for project workers.
- Length of contract: this is one year years subject to six monthly contract renewal.
- Probationary period and notice period: there is a three-month probationary period for this role. The notice period is one month.
Terms of employment
- Full-time, 1 year, post subject to 3 month probation and six monthly contract renewal
- MSc in health sciences or MPH or Master’s in the social sciences
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Strong computer literacy and knowledge
- Strong administrative and organisational skills.
- Experience in conducting qualitative studies.
- Well organised
- A high level of attention to detail
- Ability to work with others, including international collaborators
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
How to Apply
- Application should be submitted with a short CV (maximum length 4 pages) and a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) to the Human Resources Department of the College of Health Sciences (Addis Ababa University): HR Department, The Human Resources Office, 1st Floor, College of Health Sciences Building, College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The covering letter should describe how you meet the requirements for the position and why you want the job.
- The recruitment will involve an interview and possibly a written exam. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The application should be submitted within 07 working days from the date of this vacancy announcement.
- Address Ethiopia
- Qualification BA/BSc, MBA/MSc/MA