Under immediate supervision of Marketing and Communication Director, The Advocacy & External Relations Manager plays a crucial role in enabling the achievement of MSIE’s mission by advocating and influencing policy change, as well as developing, managing and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders that are critical to MSIE, particularly with respect to its mission, goals and objectives of advancing increased access to family planning and sexual and reproductive health rights and services for the low to middle income and vulnerable women and youths of Ethiopian.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Advocacy & Policy
- Lead the implementation of MSIE’s policy interventions ensuring the achievement of policy outcomes to stimulate national policy dialogue and change.
- Monitor and analyze the national SRH policy environment to identify gaps or opportunities for MSIE’s involvement that promote MSIE’s approach to evidence-based decision making
- Provide feedback to MSIE relevant teams on outcome of stakeholder meetings and consultations.
- Identify national policy committees and working group and ensure MSIE is represented at all SRH national policy dialogue meetings
- Ensure the implementation of relevant evaluation and reviews to strengthen policy project effectiveness.
- Cultivate, strengthen and nurture constructive and positive relationships with a wide range of political, technical and financial partners, including national decision makers and policy makers, academic institutions, opinion leaders and other partners as champions to advance universal access to contraception and safe abortion.
- Effectively identify and influence relevant debates, opportunities and policy initiatives that can support MSIE’s priorities of: eradicating unsafe abortion; increasing access and choice in long-acting and permanent contraceptive methods; de-medicalisation and task-shifting; results based financing; and increasing access for young people.
- Proactively engage and serve as a key resource to increase awareness of MSIE’s global impact and results with strategic partners and individuals. Support the transfer of knowledge, documentation and dissemination of learning, best practices, case studies and successful strategies in relation to MSIE’s policy engagement.
- Monitor policy processes and developments relevant to MSIE
- Organize and lead the MSIE advocacy working group
- New Business Development
- Lead on all advocacy and external relations activities done by MSIE.
- Work with members of the Senior Leadership Team [SLT] to develop concepts, proposals, cultivate donor relationships and negotiate with partners.
- Work with members of the SLT to identify opportunities and funding needs
- Author concept notes and proposals with input from multiple sources
- Create budgets with support from the MSIE finance and grant team
- Develop donor relationships, including securing donor meetings, organizing visits and following up on funding opportunities
- Respond to donor requests, develop concepts and proposals to spearhead the MSIE advocacy initiatives
- Analyse project performance and take proactive action to respond to project needs
External Relations and Communications
- Support and work with MSIE’s marketing communications team to create corporate communications materials that represent MSIE as an innovative and effective organization.
- Represent MSIE at local and international fora advocating for MSIE mission and visionLeading in the development of advocacy messages for vulnerable youths and women and people with disabilities
- Participation in health education and training of youths in colleges and tertiary institutions on the dangers of unplanned pregnancy.
- Managing and accompanying external visitors and requests as needed, including the press local and international when needed
- Authoring and making strategic press releases as needed
- Writing success stories on advocacy and other material for donor and MSIE /MSI publications
- Gather, edit and disseminate stories to stakeholders through direct updates or donor reports.
- Proactively engage with national and international media, developing strong relationships with key journalists/actors.
- Proactively engage with FP/SRH advocacy groups for youths and vulnerable women to increase their access to services.
- Manage media engagement and corporate communications for MSIE.
- University Degree in Health Science, Social Science, or International Development Management; master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Fluent English both oral and written.
- Knowledge of Clinical Health, Community Outreach, Family Planning, Social Marketing and Social Franchising
- Computer literate, proficient in MS Word, Power Point presentation and Excel (essential).
Experience / Knowledge (essential/desirable
- At least five years’ relevant experience, three of which must be related to Advocacy and Policy work (essential).
- Demonstrated record in engaging and influencing senior policymakers, donors and civil society agencies to deliver strategic advocacy outcomes.
- Established and network of relationships with politicians, decision makers, and international agencies within Ethiopia.
- Experience in planning of advocacy campaigns and events
- Experience in dealing with press requests
- Experience in working with women and youth network groups
- Good knowledge of the health sector in Ethiopia an important advantage (desirable).
- Excellent communication skills – excellent verbal and written English communication skills and ability to organise and present information in a compelling way.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of both local and government policies.
Skills, Attitudes and Attributes
- Strong supporter of the cause for contraception and a woman’s right to safe abortion.
- Results driven.
- Motivated and energetic.
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of MSI and MSIE.
- Passion for service excellence and improving quality
- Strong training skills; able to effectively build capacity.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skill.
- The highest levels of integrity, and a strong ethical sense.
- Self- managed and able to prioritize and work under pressure.
Number of Position: (01)
Duty Station: MSIE Support Office, Addis Ababa
Employment Type: One year contract renew based on budget availability
Salary: As per MSIE Salary Scale
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should mail only their motivation letter and C.V, within ten (10) days from the date of this announcement to:
Human Resources, Marie Stopes International Ethiopia
Through the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Due to the volume of applications, we will only contact shortlisted candidates, and we are unable to provide any feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Please mention the title of the position and work place you applied for on the subject line of your email.
CANDIDATES WHO DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
MSIE STRONGLY ENCOURAGES FEMALE CANDIDATES TO APPLY!
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc