ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Senior Pedometrician
Term of Employment: One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: March 04, 2019
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoALR), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Senior Pedometrician will be a full time employee of the Ethiopian Soil Information System (EthioSIS) project, and will be a point person in supporting geo-statistical and Machine learning analysis (MLA) predictions of soil properties and fertilizer recommendations, and atlas productions of the EthioSIS. The incumbent will be coordinating all geo-statistics, cartography and atlas/maps production for regions and at National level. She/He will also be a member of a team supporting the capacity building of GIS experts in the MoA, Regional Agriculture Bureaus and other stakeholders.
Her/his main area of responsibility will be applying geo-statistics and/or ensemble modeling of MLA to predict spatial variability of soil properties (soil fertility statuses) and fertilizer recommendations work from field, laboratory data and satellite imageries using R programming (A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing) and other GIS tools for map production work. The candidate should be prepared to do other related office activities given by his immediate supervisor.
The incumbent will officially report to the EthioSIS Project Team Leader. The position will be for one year with possibility of extension
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate the rigorous work of geo-statistical and Machine learning analysis (MLA) predictions of soil properties and fertilizer recommendations of EthioSIS.
- Ensure that the development of the soil fertility status and fertilizer recommendation atlas and bio-physical maps of Ethiopia are being produced within the agreed time plan/schedule using collected information and relevant legacy data.
- Lead the cartography work of soil properties and fertilizer recommendations, and finalizing atlas and maps ready to printings and handover to regions and stakeholders.
- Communicate pedometric mapping methodology of EthioSIS to different stakeholders, and on internationally renowned journals, book chapters, conferences, workshops and Medias.
- Couching GIS teams of the MoA/ SRMID directorate and provide trainings to GIS teams of the MoA/ SRMID directorate and regional partners on the effective use of R programming language for spatial prediction of soil properties and fertilizer type maps.
- Point person in supporting MoA in digital soil mapping; soil information and related decision makings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required qualifications and experience
- MSc degree in Geo-statistics, GIS and Remote sensing, Geography, Natural resource management or related; PhD in these field of studies is a plus.
- At least 6 years’ experience in geo-statistical analysis and Machine learning approached spatial variability of soil properties including experience in the use of R programming language for spatial prediction of soil properties and fertilizer recommendations.
- Hands-on trainings and practical experience related to the EthioSIS and similar work is desirable.
- Experience in prioritizing and sequencing both programmatic and operation activities.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, start-up environment, with an emphasis on high-performance, teamwork, accountability and results
- Ability to build good working relationships with all kinds of people; highly facilitative and collaborative leadership style
- Excellent problem-solving abilities in challenging environment
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in at least Amharic and one additional Ethiopian language is a plus
- The Senior Pedometrician is also a member of a team supporting the capacity building and transition of the EthioSIS project to the Ethiopia Soil Resources Institute (ESRI)
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to send (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages), and (iii) a completed ATA Application Form at http://apply.ata.gov.et or Please email (i) cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages) to [email protected]
Please note that CVs, cover letter and other application materials WILL NOT be considered unless accompanied by a fully completed ATA Application Form. Also, please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application form.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc