|Position Title||Senior Programme Assistant-SNFI (2 Positions)|
|Duty Station||Mekelle, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||11.05.2021 – 25.05.2021|
Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall supervision of the EPC Grants Coordinator, in SLO Addis Ababa and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, the incumbent will work closely with implementing partners to support the Rapid Response Fund – Ethiopia (RRF-E) Unit in matters relating to monitoring and evaluation Shelter and Non-Food Items (S/NFI) activities in all regions of Ethiopia, with particular focus on Tigray while based in the IOM Mekelle sub-office. In particular, he/she will:-
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide technical support to SNFI Implementing Partners and monitor their activities to assure that they meet SNFI Cluster and SPHERE Standards
- Provide technical support in designing and reviewing designs for emergency shelters
- Provide technical support in designing information materials about good emergency shelter design
- Conduct regular site visits to verify if SNFI projects are progressing as reported and as per the agreed project proposal narrative, indicators and work plan
- Visit potential SNFI Implementing Partners and participate in the evaluation of their programmatic knowledge and reporting mechanisms according to the project’s checklists
- Participate in the assessment of potential SNFI Implementing Partners to determine their ability to carry out project activities before sub-grants are awarded
- Draft regular monitoring reports on SNFI sub-grantee activities and achievements to feed into both IOMs internal and external situation report
- Keep track and provide reports on any challenges and delays by implementing partners in the field
- Attend SNFI Cluster meetings and prepare minutes of meeting
- Assist in facilitating photo and video documentation of active projects for improved reporting and visibility
- Follow up on donor visibility and adherence to donor policies
- Accompany the RRF-E Programme Manager, donor and/or other interested visitors to project sites, providing inputs on progress and overall context
- When required, assist in reviewing the SNFI sub-grantee’s submitted narrative and weekly reports, and provide the RRF-E manager with feedback that will directly affect the approval of partner weekly and final reports.
- Carry out follow-up visits to project sites at established intervals after project completion to assess/measure degree of impact as determined by the RRF-E Programme Manager
- Undertake any further duties as may be assigned by the RRF-E Programme Manager
- University degree in Architecture, Engineering or related fields
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in the field of engineering and / or construction;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively and persuasively present information in a variety of settings and formats;
- Familiar with quality control systems
- Knowledge of local construction techniques and materials, with knowledge of humanitarian shelter designs an advantage
- Knowledge of Autocad and other engineering or design software
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel and Power point
- Fluency in English, Amharic and Tigrigna (oral and written) is required.
Values and Competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected], by 25th of May 2021, the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email. (Example: Application for Senior Programme Assistant-SNFI) (IOM-SVN/0068/2021) no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
NB: Applicants with no internet connection, can submit their applications in hard copy, in person, to IOM Office in the area.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
- Address Mekelle, Tigray
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc