Vacancy number: DCA-ETH/VA- 009/2021
Dan Church Aid (DCA) is a legally registered international NGO engaged in development and humanitarian assistance to poor rural people in Ethiopia in partnership with Ethiopian NGOs and civil society organizations.
DCA Ethiopia is looking for a competent Senior Programme Coordinator for its field office in Gambella. The Senior Programme Coordinator will provide oversight to all DCA field operations within Gambela Regional State in refugee and host communities responses. She/He will have full oversight of both the system and the programme staff at the field office and will represent DCA at various forums at Gambella Regional level.
Main tasks of the position:
Job Summary is responsible for the proper handling of Field Office to play a leading role in project development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of DCA Projects under Gambella Coordination office. The Sr. Coordinator will provide the required technical and management support for the successful implementation of the projects (which focus on refugee and host communities) with the required quality standards. S/He, in collaboration with project coordinators, will ensure that donor and project signatories’ requirements are met in terms of implementation standards, reporting. and visibilities. S/He is expected to demonstrate strong leadership qualities to motivate, build trust among the team, and ensure team effectiveness. S/He will also work in collaboration with the country office program, M&E, prolog, and finance teams to support the achievement of the organization’s and project implementation objectives.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities.
- Lead in Proposal development for refugee and hosting communities Gambella Projects and actively take part in write up of proposal
- Ensure that need assessment is conducted for proposal involving key stakeholders in the target locations
Coordination of Office Management
- Lead DCA Gambella Senior management team and ensure that the team address the project implementation challenges timely
- Liaison with DCA country office technical team to ensure the projects receive the required technical support timely
- Facilitate monthly Gambella Senior Management meeting and quarterly general staff meeting and other ad hoc meeting to ensure the coordination office make an informed decision and provide leadership appropriately
- Facilitate project launch both internally in DCA and externally involving relevant stakeholders and ensure documentation of the process.
- Engage with the project stakeholders to ensure that DCA projects are planned and implemented with full involvement of stakeholders at different levels
- Oversee implementation and procurement planning process for each project in Gambella and ensure realistic detail implementation plan (DIP) and procurement plan are in place.
- Closely follow the implementation of the DIP and the procurement plan with reference to the budget versus actual (BVA) analysis
- Conduct monthly joint BVA review with Gambella project coordinators and Admin &finacinace coordinator.
- Participate on the country office level BVA revhew with both review relevant program team and finance for all projects implemented in Gambella
- Ensure all project activities in Gambella are implemented in accordance with donor requirements and as per the quality standard and agreed detail implementation plan;
- Regularly monitor potential risks, and implementation challenges and work towards seeking solutions together with project staff and stakeholders
- Ensure adherence to international standards such as CHS, LEGS, UNHCR and SPHERE minimum standard across all project activities;
- Ensure the security management plan is in place and strictly followed
Monitoring and evaluation, reporting and documentation and accountability
- In collaboration with the M&E staff and other technical staff put in place a realistic and actionable M&E plan for each project in Gambella and ensure the plans are implemented
- Ensure that quality data showing project progress are collected, recorded and reported on timely basis
- Lead project review meetings (quarter and monthly reviews) and ensure action points agreed are implemented in subsequent months
- closely follow the projects to ensure that they achieve their results
- Conduct regular field visit to the project location an provide technical support for the team and ensure the quality of project outputs
- Compile timely and high-quality project progress reports as per DCA and Donor requirement
- Make sure proper documentation and handling of project related documents (plans, reports, minutes, monitoring and evaluation reports etc.) in place
- Support the project team to collect lessons learned, best practices and shared with the relevant bodies
- Support the project team to prepare a case studies and human stories for reporting and promotional purpose
- Monitor and support local partner organizations implementing projects in Gambela Region
Partnersship and Representations
- Duly represent DCA in Gambella as per the authority delegation to be given by Senior Management
- Maintain good partnership with stakeholders (target communities, government, ARRA, UNHCR, and other humanitarian actors) in the spirit of equity, transparency, result oriented, responsibility and complementarity;
- Maintain regular contact with other international, UN, local non-governmental organizations (NGOs), Gambela regional state government officials, ARRA both at the camp and zone level working to serve as a network for obtaining and coordinating information regarding current and future work in the country
- Facilitate and plan for joint monitoring visit with government offices, ARRA and UNHCR.
- Ensure project plans and reports are timely shared to relevant government, ARRA and UNHCR offices;
- Participate in GO-NGO forums; UNHCR/ARRA task force meetings; and sectoral coordination meeting; and other relevant forums and share outcomes with the rest of the team.
- Represent DCA at regional level in the organization’s consortium or partner-led project.
Budget /financial Management
- Manage and regularly monitor budget utilization for each project and provide regular feedback to project staff for any required adjustment
- Ensure that DCA financial policies and procedures are duly respected at field office levels
- Responsible for ensuring donor rule, regulations and compliance related to budget are maintained and respected
- Oversee the budget utilization of other consortium members as appropriate to avoid the risk of project over/ under spent
- Facilitate collaboration and interaction between the field level finance staff and the programme staff ensure good information follow between these functions
Take part in budget preparation and budget revision
Administrative and logistics management
- Ensure that necessary administrative and logistics supports are provided to field staff based on intervention requirements
- Regularly undertake security assessment of the project targeted areas and update DCA HO
- Facilitate required logistic arrangement for DCA’s project visitors as appropriate
Human Resource management
- Develop Human resource requirement for all projects and communicate with appropriate people
- Supervise, coordinate and train DCA Gambella staff, and ensure that they carry out their functions in a timely, coordinated and participatory manner;
- Facilitate the recruitment of Gambella project staff timely developing Job descriptions
- Line manage and supervise the works of DCA Gambella project coordinators in the field offices
- Ensure performance review is conducted for all DCA Gambella staff
- Regularly assess the capacity gap of the staff in line with the Employee Development Review (EDR) and recommend capacity building interventions
- Ensure that DCA’s human resources policies and procedures are fully implemented and respected at field offices
Type of Contract: Two years with extension probability based on performance and funding
Reporting to: Humanitarian Program Manager
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Key Qualifications / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in a relevant discipline (Development Studies, DRR Management, food security, Agriculture and related field) from a recognized university.
- 8 years of practical work experience for Bachelor’s and 6 years for Master’s holders at the field and country office level in designing humanitarian projects proposal and reporting writing, capacity building and implementation of key donors BPRM, ECHO etc specifically in refugee context.
- At least 3 years experience managing staff/teams
- Technical Training qualifications required: relief, disaster management, environmental sciences and related field.
- Experience working in refugee context in Gambella or other refugee settings in Ethiopia with international NGOs, UN agencies like UNHCR is mandatory .
- Understanding of the humanitarian system and refugee situation in Ethiopia.
- Knowledge of humanitarian standards and principles and cross cutting issues
- Experience in management and knowledge of basic accounting methods and procedures
- Ability to train and supervise a multi-cultural staff
- Good cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent communication, networking and persuasion skills, very good mentoring and capacity-building experience.
- An openness to learn about and understand the cultural, political, and social and economic situation of the country
- Experience in project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Good public relations and public speaking skills
- Fluent in spoken and written in English, good writing skill
- High level of diplomacy skills for relationship building
- High degree of negotiation and persuasion skills to seek funding commitments from donors,
- Excellent time management
- Ability to work in high tension and high-security risk situations.
- Ability to work in and contribute to the team-building environment.
- Address Gambela
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc