HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation is an international development organization based in Zurich, Switzerland and has been operating for several decades worldwide. HELVETAS is registered in Ethiopia as a foreign charity to operate in the working areas of Rural Infrastructure, Natural Resources Management, Support to Civil Society Organizations and Local Government, Skill Development and Education, and Emergency Responses. See also www.helvetas.org.
As defined in its Country Strategy 2019-2023, HELVETAS aims to improve the living conditions of socially and economically disadvantaged women and men by promoting and supporting innovative, inclusive and sustainable development predominantly in marginal areas and emerging towns of Ethiopia. It aims to do so through a combination of implementation and facilitation and acknowledging that innovation requires demonstration, in partnership with local organisations and institutions.
Project, Reporting to Country Director
This highly innovative project has two objectives: (1) to develop, based on cross-sectoral collaboration and negotiation, a system for compensation for ecosystem services (CES) and to formulate an enabling operational and institutional framework for applying a PES-based financing mechanism for enhanced watershed (landscape) management in the Tekeze Basin, and (2) implementing environmental rehabilitation and climate change adaptation activities for resilience building and enhanced livelihood improvement in selected (6) pilot micro-watersheds of three woredas of Wag-Hemra zone.
Major Duties and responsibilities:
The Senior Project Manager (Sr.PM):
- Heads the Project Management Unit of the SUCCESS project at Addis Ababa and represents HELVETAS Ethiopia in the implementation of the project at zonal, regional and national level.
- Provides coordination and technical support to the consortium partners; Water & Land Resource Centre and Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Electricity
- Provides support to the implementation of the SUCCESS project implemented by consortium partners under the overall responsibility of HELVETAS
- Leads HELVETAS Ethiopia’s learning in the thematic area of Natural Resource Management and Resilience Building
Duration: Subject to final donor approval starting date 1st January 2021 until 31st December 2022 (renewable)
Salary & benefits: As per the salary scale of the organization for the position, and benefit packages and other terms in line with HELVETAS National Personnel Regulation 2018
- Post graduate Study in Social Sciences or Natural Sciences or other related subjects
- 15 years’ relevant experience in NRM assignments of which at least 5 years as project manager
- Proven track record in conceptualizing, piloting and implementing projects in a multi-stakeholder and community-based development approach
- Proven record in knowledge management and documentation
- Sound knowledge and understanding of environmental, social and economic aspects of S&WC
- Excellent, conceptual, visionary and programmatic competencies
- Good reporting and writing skills
- Strong facilitator and mentor/coach
- Result-oriented personality meeting deadlines
- Eager to learn and fill gaps where needed
- Good practice in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Outlook) and other appropriate information technologies
- ArcGIS software (optional)
- English & Amharic
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their application, including a CV and supporting documents, with names and contact addresses of three referees by email to [email protected] or by mail to:
Head Human Resources P.O. Box 27507/1000
HELVETAS is an equal opportunity employer. However, women candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
NB: We do not accept applications in person.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Manager
- Qualification BA/BSc