Senior DRM Coordinator
Background on Tasking Order #19: Technical Assistance Support to Improve the Delivery of Humanitarian Assistance in Drought Affected Areas of Ethiopia
The Building Resilience in Ethiopia – Technical Assistance (BRE-TA) programme is part of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office’s (FCDO – previously DFID) bilateral humanitarian assistance to Ethiopia. The BRE Technical Assistance (BRE-TA) component is co-financed with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The overall goal of BRE-TA support is to support the Government of Ethiopia to ‘Establish a fully functional DRM system and develop the associated capacity to manage humanitarian and climate shocks.’
To achieve this overall goal the DRM workstream is organized around three building blocks: DRM Coordination and Leadership, DRM Mainstreaming, and DRM Information and Knowledge. This ToR speaks to building blocks 1 and 3 and complements ongoing longer-term capacity-building support BRE-TA is providing to the EDRMC for DRM policy reform and Early Warning for Early Action.
The request for TA support was made in January 2022 by the Ethiopia Disaster Risk Management Commission (EDRMC) to help enhance the humanitarian drought response, given current capacity gaps.
Technical Assistance Request for Coordination – Senior Coordinator (SC)
The Coordination -The Senior Expert will support the DRM workstream lead and work in collaboration with the DRM Advisor embedded in EDRMC on the following tasks.
Description of Assignment
General Objective: The deployed SC, in collaboration with the DRM Advisor, will coordinate the staff for TO#19 Technical Assistance with a specific focus on managing, monitoring, and guiding contracted Technical Assistants and ensuring that their work is conducted in a timely manner and with high quality
Specific Objectives: Help Coordination of planned activities with the EDRMC, BRE and partners, and other stakeholders, organizing regular or extraordinary team meetings with EDRMC and BRE or other stakeholders during the project period to monitor and manage the progress of the Technical Assistance. Detailed activities will include the following:
- The SC in collaboration with the DRM Advisor will help the recruited TAs and Experts in EDRMC and regions in preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual activity progress and financial reports and ensuring the accuracy and timely submission of these reports to the EDRMC and BRE.
|Coordination of the staff for this TO #19||Ensure the accuracy and timely submission of monthly, quarterly, and annual activity progress reports, as well as organizing and facilitating review and other relevant meetings.||1 year with the possibility of extension|
Accountability measures: Performance reviews, based on the above deliverables, will be conducted on a quarterly basis by representatives from the D/Commissioner office and BRE-DRM workstream.
- Type(s) of reports required: To support EDRMC relevant directorates produce quality monthly quarterly and annual reports. In addition, the SC will produce short internal reports that will be shared with the DRM workstream Lead.
- To whom are reports submitted: All Coordination related reports will be submitted to the D/Commissioner office and copied to the DRM workstream Lead. All internal progress reports will be submitted to the DRM workstream Lead
- Working with counterparts: The SC will act as a counterpart to the DRM Advisor and Experts in EDRMC and will report directly to the D/Commissioner office and DRM workstream.
- Joint management oversight: Will be provided by GoE and BRE-TA. The SC’s performance will be evaluated quarterly basis, at which time performance against the SC’s work plan and deliverables will be assessed.
- Payroll services and administrative oversight: Is provided by BRE-TA.
Location and Duration
Start date and expected duration of assignment: The SC assignment is a full-time position beginning as soon as possible.
A probation period of 60 working days will be applied, followed by the first performance review conducted, by the D/Commissioner’s office and DRM workstream Lead/Coordinator.
Location of assignment: The SC will be based in Addis Ababa.
The job may require frequent travel in the region. When the SC is required to travel, should get approval of the same from the D/Commissioner’s office and the DRM workstream Lead. Approved travel costs will be reimbursed by BRE-TA.
Minimum number of years relevant or equivalent experience required
- At least eight (8) years’ work experience in similar programs/projects
Required level of education
- A Master’s degree in Agriculture, Development studies, rural development, agricultural economics, agricultural business, disaster risk management, business economics, or equivalent
Specific skills required
- Proven managerial and coordination skills are required; meeting facilitation skills are an advantage
Language skills and proficiency
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic
Closing date for application: October 11, 2022
- Address Ethiopia