ICT Technical Support Officer
Background on Tasking Order #19: Technical Assistance Support to Improve the Delivery of Humanitarian Assistance in Drought Affected Areas of Ethiopia
The Building Resilience in Ethiopia – Technical Assistance (BRE-TA) programme is part of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office’s (FCDO – previously DFID) bilateral humanitarian assistance to Ethiopia. The BRE Technical Assistance (BRE-TA) component is co-financed with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The overall goal of BRE-TA support is to support the Government of Ethiopia to ‘Establish a fully functional DRM system and develop an associated capacity to manage humanitarian and climate shocks.’
To achieve this overall goal the DRM workstream is organized around three building blocks: DRM Coordination and Leadership, DRM Mainstreaming, and DRM Information and Knowledge. This ToR speaks to building blocks 1 and 3 and complements ongoing longer-term capacity-building support BRE-TA is providing to the EDRMC for DRM policy reform and Early Warning for Early Action.
The request for TA support was made in January 2022 by the Ethiopia Disaster Risk Management Commission (EDRMC) to help enhance the humanitarian drought response, given current capacity gaps.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The ICT Technical Support Officer is the first point of contact (first-line support) for all ICT services across an EDRMC hub. Its main roles and responsibilities include the following.
- Work closely with the hub manager, storage, distribution, and warehouse heads on the implementation and optimal usage of the Commodity Allocation and Trucking System (CATS).
- Keep computer systems, network devices, and software applications at the hub in smooth running/operating order; and ensure that CATS functions uninterruptedly.
- Establish a good working relationship with users of CATS and respond within agreed time limits to call-outs.
- Assist users to generate daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly commodity receipt and dispatch reports at the hub level, including committed stock reports, free stock reports, free warehouse space, and daily receipt and dispatch to plan commodity receipt and dispatch.
- Install, configure, and maintain computer hardware, network devices, and operating systems across the hub.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot hardware, software, and network faults and related ICT operation problems; refer to the second-line support at the head office for issues and problems that could not be dealt with at the hub level (first-line support).
- Take all the necessary security measures including using backups and access controls, in compliance with respective EDRMC security policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Support the roll-out of new application software or updates.
- Engage with staff or users through a series of actions, either face-to-face or over the phone, to help set up systems or resolve system use problems and issues.
- Provide help desk assistance and support for all types of ICT use issues.
- Maintain accurate records/inventory of ICT assets and resources throughout the hub.
- Maintain and update user and procedure manuals regularly.
- Provide training, guidance, and support to staff and users on how to operate software applications and computer equipment.
- Undertake other ICT technical support and project works as requested by the ICT Support Team at the central level
Start date and expected duration of assignment: The ITSO assignment is a full-time position beginning as soon as possible.
Probation: A probation period of 60 working days will be applied, followed by the first performance review conducted.
To whom are reports submitted: All reports will be submitted to EDRMC Logistics Department and DRM workstream Lead.
Educational Qualifications and Work Experience
- Although this area of work is open to all graduates, graduates in the following fields of study are preferred.
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Software Engineering
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- A minimum of 3 years experience in IT support functions or similar positions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- To be suitable for this role, a candidate needs to demonstrate the following work-related skills.
- Sound knowledge of computer systems software, applications, hardware, networking, and communications facilities.
- Expert skills in and the ability to support Microsoft Windows Desktop and Office suite of applications and peripheral devices.
- Ability to perform routine preventive maintenance on systems software, applications, hardware, networking, and communications facilities.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Good verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and ability to interact confidently and liaise effectively with staff at all levels.
- Ability to communicate technical guidance and instructions to users easily.
- Willingness to work extra hours to finish a job.
Language: Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic.
Closing date for application: October 11, 2022
- Address Ethiopia