Splash is an international development organization founded in 2007 and headquartered in Seattle, WA, USA. Our mission is simple: we clean water for kids. To date, we have reached over 600,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we embarked on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), to reach every government school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Kolkata, India with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs, and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. Splash is working with government to reach 100% of government schools in Addis Ababa with full WASH coverage by the end of 2023, and is in a process of expanding its operations into additional geographies, beginning in Ethiopia.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People – People first. People second. People third.
- Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment.
The purpose of the WASH Infrastructure Officer position is to serve as primary point of contact for the organization selected to implement Splash Ethiopia’s WASH in School for Everyone (WISE) Project in Bahir Dar. Activities include: installation of filters, drinking/handwashing stations, pumps, and accessories, and structural analysis (pressures, loads and stresses) of new and rehabilitated WASH infrastructures, including new/existing toilet blocks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Continuously monitor implementing partner progress. Provide technical assistance and support, as needed.
- Liaise with professional staffs (water/civil engineers, consultants) of partner organizations (BoC, OoC, BoE,) and resolve design, specification or construction issues related to sanitation facilities or water works components.
- Monitor and inspect all work undertaken by contractors to ensure structural soundness.
- Conduct regular monitoring and supervision of school WASH infrastructure activities per Splash standards – for timely execution, monitoring, reporting, and quality assurance of construction activities.
- Maintain up-to-date records of the installations of the WASH infrastructures activities in splash monitoring tool/system (Salesforce)
- Facilitate technical training on O & M of the WASH infrastructure
- Ensure construction tasks and activities are running smoothly, and structures are completed within in the allotted time/schedule, and in compliance with required safety protocols
Compensation & Benefits
- Annual salary for this position will be commensurate with experience and reviewed at least annually.
The WASH Infrastructure Officer reports to: WASH Project Manager.
To learn more, please visit www.splash.org.
- BSc/MSc in Civil Engineering/Water Resources Engineering or Construction Management Technology
- Minimum of 5 year’s experiences as a Structural Engineer
- Experience in undertaking technical site investigations, and developing BoQs and specification
- Experience undertaking structural Analysis for WASH facilities including water towers, toilets foundation, beam and columns, and water Reservoirs
- Experience determining the strength of construction materials and selecting appropriately for desired structure quality
- Providing technical advice on safe designs and construction
- Ability to use computer-aided design technologies for simulation purposes such as SAP 2000, ETAB, STAAD PRO, and SAFE etc.
- Literacy in Microsoft Office (required), AutoCAD, and other relevant Project Management software and methodologies like ArchiCAD, MS project, GPS mapping software is added advantage (preferred).
- Computer skills (particularly Office package), Database management – Software for water -supply networks designing such as EPANET and WaterCad
- Ability to collaborate effectively with senior staff and peers, local partners (contractors, government partners, schools, and vendors)
- Professional level of written and verbal fluency in Amharic and English
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to work and collaborate in team environment, including with remote team members
- You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others
- Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You think critically and have demonstrated excellent problem-solving skills
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve
- You are willing and able to work in Bahir Dar
- You are willing and able to participate in meetings outside of normal business hours, as needed
- Address Bahirdar, Amhara
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc