EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Water and Habitat Engineer 1 (1 year fixed term contract), based in Nekemte.
Frequent armed clashes in rural areas and outskirts of Nekemte, Haro Limu, Gimbi, Horo Gudru, and Dembidolo towns have largely impacted on the lives and livelihoods of the civilian population. Some places can be described as insecure, void of sustainable livelihood activity and increasingly lacking basic social services, especially water supply. The ICRC delegation in Addis-Ababa intend to give itself the capacity of responding to the emergency needs in general and the water and sanitation ones in particular. Indeed, the conflict has led to some damages of different scales to the basic services provision systems such as power and water supply systems as well as health posts and hospitals.
WatHab Engineer 1 plans, designs and implements engineering projects within the scope of the ICRC’s water and habitat assistance in Oromia region with supervision and coaching from their hierarchical superior. S/he monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments and surveys, and plans new projects. S/he has a close working relationship with external stakeholders related to their projects.
- Internally, daily contact with delegation employees for the design and administration of WatHab projects.
- Externally, minimum weekly phone or in-person contact and negotiation with project stakeholders (e.g. community leaders and local authorities), contractors and suppliers, as a representative of the ICRC.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops an operation and maintenance plan (including Strategy/ HR/ Budget/ Materials and Equipment/ Skills/ Systems Plan) in collaboration with his manager to enable all the projects under him both civilian and detention to be operated and maintained to provide the beneficiaries and detainees with adequate service.
- Supports the implementation of this plan through monitoring, training (ICRC managed or ICRC out sourced) and managerial and technical advice in collaboration with the government bureau, Regional Prisons Engineering department and other partners in our areas of operation.
- Identification of engineering needs of the beneficiaries and communities in Oromia through assessment according to water and habitat criteria and surveys to improve their living conditions.
- Preparing of project documents including drawings using AutoCAD, bills of quantities, tenders, contracts etc. using approved format.
- Designs, and manages the implementation of projects assigned by the water and habitat coordinator. These will likely include water supply and distribution projects and wastewater treatment projects
- Monitoring project implementation for compliance with project documents, ICRC standards and local building codes/standards, ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary
- Reports verbally, by narrative and financially on projects under their management to their manager
- Organization of the procurement, delivery of construction materials and supervision of construction labor and contractors
- With the delegation of his manager, represents the ICRC in meetings with beneficiaries, community leaders, Government Authorities, International Organization Non-Governmental Organizations and prison authorities that the ICRC water and habitat department collaborates with.
- Writes field trip reports based on given guidelines
- Writes minutes of workshops and meetings
- Manages WPA reporting for projects assigned
- Provides contributions to BOR, Quarterly Reports, PfR
b. Administration – Finance
- Ensures necessary administrative work is implemented on time
- Knows, applies and complies with all the administrative procedures linked to his work (financial
- and HR such as appraisals, Time reporting, budget follow up, …etc)
- Keeps files of assigned projects up-to-date at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant working atmosphere with colleagues and superiors.
- Participates in conflict management.
- Participates in internal meeting.
d. Interpretation – Translation
- Translates documents from English to National language and vice versa as required
- Adapts his/her behaviour to various interlocutors
e. Treatment of information
- Registers and treats information (general and specific) accurately and with confidentially
- Maintains regular contacts with interlocutors (NGO’s, associations,
- etc.) and exchange information as required.
- Makes all necessary arrangements for the field trips (vehicles, materials, tools, field trip forms)
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development
- Contributes to the analysis of the security, socio-economic, cultural and political environment relevant to the ICRC and share relevant information with colleagues.
- Reports events and changes within the region that could have an impact on ICRC’s activities and hence provides sound elements to the Delegation that allow to establish objectives and priorities.
- Participates actively in meetings.
- University Degree in Engineering (Civil and Hydraulic Engineering Preferred) with a strong knowledge of water and sanitation
- 4 Years Work Experience in construction project management
- Good managerial, analytical and organizational skills
- Proficient in use of standard programmes (Word, Excel, AutoCad)
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Very good command of spoken & written English, Afan Oromo and Amharic
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
How to Apply
You can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR you can submit in Nekempte Sub delegation OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: April 13, 2021
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.
- Address Nekempt, Oromia
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Qualification BA/BSc