|Position Title:||Intern – Capacity Building (Joint Intervention)|
|Station:||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment:||Three months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date:||09 August 2021|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is implementing the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration (also known as the Joint Initiative or JI) is funded by the European Union Trust Fund (EUTF). The program is implemented in the Horn of Africa, in four countries including Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan. The objective of the program is to contribute towards facilitating orderly, safe, regular and responsible migration management through the development and implementation of rights-based, development focused and sustainable return and reintegration policies and processes. The program aims to address the following specific objectives:
- Safe, humane, dignified voluntary return processes are enhanced along main migration routes
- Migrants benefit from sustainable economic, social and psycho-social reintegration that also benefits communities
- Partner countries and relevant stakeholders develop or strengthen evidence-based return and reintegration procedures
In Ethiopia, the program is mainly implemented in regions highly affected by migration and a source of potential migrants and returnees. These are: Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, Somali and Tigray Regional States as well as Dire Dawa City Administration. For the implementation of the program at Federal level, IOM is engaging the National Anti-human trafficking and Smuggling taskforce, and the Protection and Reintegration working group which brings together various government and non-government institutions working in this area. At regional, zonal and woreda levels, IOM coordinates closely will various government structures with reintegration and related mandates at each administrative level such as Bureaus for Labor and Social Affairs; Health; Women, Children and Youth Affairs; as well as Rural/Urban Job Creation Offices, Technical and Vocational Education and Training; Micro-finance institutions and others.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migration Protection and Reintegration (JI program) Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of National Capacity Building Program Officer, the Intern will be responsible for assisting JI’s capacity building and related activities. The main tasks and responsibilities of the position are described below.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the overall planning and implementation of JI’s capacity building activities.
- Contribute to the identification of capacity-building needs through collection and analysis of information.
- Assist the National Capacity Building Program Officer in drafting concept notes/TORs and agendas related to specific capacity building interventions of the program and support its implementation.
- Assist in maintaining good knowledge and information on new developments and practices around migrant protection and reintegration and other related migration management topics.
- Under the guidance of National Capacity Building Program Officer, provide support to relevant federal and regional government institutions and structures to ensure that the governments capacity in providing return and reintegration assistance and support to vulnerable Ethiopian migrants is achieved.
- Support the development of knowledge management in reference with best practices of the program and ensure that it is accessible to all staff and stakeholders
- Contribute to administrative and technical support in organizing and coordinating capacity building trainings, workshops, meetings, seminars, and other events.
- Support the preparation of periodic internal /external capacity building coordination meetings and take minutes/notes from the meetings.
- Assist with ensuring proper documentation of all capacity building implementation supporting documents, including training/workshop reports, pre/post-training assessment results, event banners, participant lists, best practices observed, etc.
- Prepare and administer capacity building related Purchase Requests and make sure that all required items for different capacity building activities are delivered on time to avoid any delay in the implementation of capacity building activities.
- Support the National Capacity Building Program Officer and other team in the preparation of travel authorizations, settlement of travel expense claims and advances and official travel bookings related to capacity building related movements.
- Assist in monitoring and reviewing of the progress of the implementation of capacity building activities.
- Participate in different trainings, workshops and meetings by represent the program as assigned by the National Capacity Building Program Officer and JI Program Coordinator
- Assist in preparation and timely submission of reports on all capacity building activities implemented under the program.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- BA Degree Public Administration, Management, International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Humanitarian Studies, and other related Social Science fields
- Fresh graduate with university degree in the mentioned fields.
- High level of computer literacy is required, in particular, experience in computerized HR and/or Accounting software systems; good knowledge of MS Office specifically Excel;
- Good communication skills, drive for results, flexibility, efficiency, respect for diversity;
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions and within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve the performance of self and others
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and, promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays an awareness of relevant technological solutions
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM (optional depending on position level)
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected], by 09 August 2021 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Trainee
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Qualification BA/BSc