BACKGROUND ON REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
We are currently looking for a Field Officer to support our REACH team in Ethiopia.
Position: REACH Field Officer (FO)
Supervisor: REACH Field Manager
Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Adama, Oromia, with possible travels to the field (Oromia, SNNP, Sidama and South west regions and Addis Ababa City Administration)
Starting Date: ASAP
Under the management of the Research Manager and the direct Supervision of the Field Manager, the REACH Field Officer (FO) is responsible for the overall management and implementation of all REACH field activities in the regions covered (Oromia, SNNP, Sidama and Southwest regions and Addis Ababa City Administration).
1. Assessment Preparation and Training
· Context and situation monitoring of regional displacement dynamics
· Undertake preliminary planning missions in assessment sites
· Lead on all planning details related to data collection (field schedule, team planning, procurements, logistics, and administration) according to each activity’s specified methodology
· Coordinate, plan, and facilitate assessment team trainings jointly with the assessment teams
- Data collection and validation
· Act as the primary focal point for partner data collection agencies.
· Provide regular technical support to internal and partner team leaders through the provision of daily or regular team debriefs.
· Accompany data collectors in the field to ensure accurate data collection as specified in the methodology, particularly in the case of any direct measurement (MUAC, etc.)
· Ensure care of all REACH inventory including daily check of assessment mobile phones
· Download all data at the end of each data collection day and spot-checking online database for accuracy at the end of each day.
3. Internal Coordination and management
· Manage internal workplans of REACH FO in the area of deployment cluster-based areas of FO.
· Highlight day-to-day and long-term issues to the Field Manager and in case of being necessary to REACH Research Manager.
4. External Coordination
Under the supervision and collaboration with the Field Manager:
· Coordinate field operations with participating agencies
· Report regularly to agency focal points about assessment progress and any changes to the plans
· Prepare and dissemination assessment results and presentations in relevant coordination forums and meetings
· Build and strengthen collaborative relationship with relevant stakeholders
· Prepare final assessment reports including lessons learned, incidents and timeframe
· Assist in preparation of assessment factsheets and consolidated reports.
· Context analysis on humanitarian situation
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. They will also be responsible with printing and delivering REACH products directly to those providing REACH with the data. This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member
· At least 4 years of experience with increasing responsibilities in management and coordination of field staff;
· At least 2 years of experience working within data collection teams;
· University degree in Statistics, Agriculture, Economics, Sociology, or other relevant fields of study;
· Excellent team management and problem-solving skills;
· Excellent experience using Open Data Kit (ODK) for quantitative data collection, or the ability to rapidly master the process;
· Experience creating ODK questionnaires, or ability to learn rapidly;
· Flexible, self-motivated, and independent with an eye for improving internal processes;
· Experience in representation and coordination with government, communities, and partner agencies;
· Ability to produce contextual situation analyses and subsequent project recommendations;
· Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements;
· Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software; and,
· Fluency in English, Amharic and Oromo is required; fluency in Neuyer and other local language is desirable.
- Application Procedure:
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to [email protected] and received on or before 5.00PM on 08 December 2022 with the subject line “REACH Field Officer Officer – Adama, Oromia, Ethiopia”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.