The American International Health Alliance (AIHA) is an international nonprofit organization working to advance global health through locally driven, locally owned, and locally sustainable health systems strengthening (HSS) and human resources for health (HRH) interventions. AIHA’s VISION is a world with access to quality healthcare for everyone, everywhere. AIHA’s MISSION is to strengthen health systems and workforce capacity worldwide through locally driven, peer-to-peer institutional partnerships.
In response to a CDC, NOFO AIHA is looking for an infection control surveillance advisor/epidemiologist (with IPC experience and/or IPC professional II) to support hospitals and clinical laboratories improve their ability to collect, analyze and use data on Infection Prevention & Control (IPC) processes, hospital-acquired infections (HAI), and antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
Terms of employment: full-time position contingent on AIHA winning the proposal and donor accepting the candidate.
Place of work: AIHA, Addis Ababa office. Travel to selected hospitals and institutions is required.
Required qualifications, experiences, and skills:
We are searching for an Epidemiologist/IPC professional (with HO or lab background or similar experience with HAIs, microbial infections (microbiology lab), able to train, mentor, provide feedback to improve IPC, clinical labs, AST, AMR & AMR data collection, national/global AMR databases, data entry, DHIS2, LIMS, IPC training to combat AMR in healthcare settings.
- Design and manage survallence systems for Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAIs),
- Undertake tasks in support to IPC, including supporting the implementation of IPC practices; providing mentorship to collegues; monitoring activities; and alerting on possible infectious risks,
- Train hospital and laboratory staff on how to collect high-quality data and how to analyze it,
- Train hospital and laboratory staff on how to set up systems for regular data collection and use,
- Provide regular on-site support to hospital and laboratory staff in collecting, managing, and using IPC, HAI, and AMR data,
- Support data sharing between the hospitals and laboratories (including regional, national reference laboratories),
- Support data sharing with the FMoH,
- Collect and manage data on project activities,
- Ensure hospital, laboratory, and project data are compiled and participate in project leadership meetings to use these data to adapt project activities,
- With hospital, laboratory, and project leadership, develop evaluation questions and use best practices to answer these questions,
- Write reports on project implementation and lessons learned from monitoring and evaluation data,
- Make presentations on results of data analyses and other information to diverse audiences at national, sub-national, or facility/organization level and other workshops and seminars,
- With the project leadership, organize, facilitate seminars, workshops for health care providers at hospitals on HAIs, IPC, AMR, data collection and reporting,
- Work as a liaison to outside data-generating entities to develop and maintain partnerships for sharing and using data,
- Participate in a global network on IPC, HAI, and AMR
- MSc or higher degree in epidemiology, public health (MPH), or equivalent,
- 5 years or above experience in supporting health workers to collect and utilize clinical data,
- Experience in IPC strongly preferred,
- Strong organizational, analytical, and reasoning, skills,
- Experience (familiarity) with WHONET, GLASS databases is advantageous,
- Experience in surveillance and community health is advantageous,
- Willingness to travel to regions,
- Good computer literacy skills,
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
How to Apply
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc