BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 40 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in ten regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Humanitarian Access officer will work closely with the Senior Access and Training Manager to develop overarching and localized access strategies for the country program and individual field sites and to deliver trainings to country program and field offices. They will identify changes and trends in the humanitarian access context in Ethiopia, develop and be responsible for the implementation of both proactive and adaptable plans, and trainings. They will support the Senior Access and Training Manager to facilitate and deliver training and capacity building related to access, safety and security to IRC and partner’s staff. The Humanitarian Access Officer will be based in Addis with extensive travel to field locations.
· With the supervision of the Senior Access and Training Manager develop and implement humanitarian access strategies and approaches tailored to local contexts in IRC’s field sites throughout Ethiopia and include overarching community engagement components.
· Ensure that IRC field teams conduct principled and sustainable negotiations with relevant actors in Ethiopia in line with humanitarian principles, humanitarian needs, a duty of care principles, and the IRC’s Strategy Action Plan.
· Support access innovation initiatives, including the development of other strategies, tools, and guidelines for the management of IRC’s access in Ethiopia.
· Provide access analysis based on program operation demand and in consolation with field staff.
· As required, support the Senior Access and Training Manager in providing area-based access analyses supporting operational implementation or program development, including recommendations on how to address issues as they arise.
· Work with program units to ensure access elements are included in proposals.
· With the support of the Senior Access and Training Manager, provide regular training for IRC and partner staff on humanitarian principles, negotiations, context analysis, conflict-sensitive and adaptive programming.
· Support Senior Access and Training Manager in providing regular access, safety, and security related training for IRC and stakeholder staff and in implementing an annual training plan for the country program.
· Develop and implement an annual training plan for the country program.
Building Acceptance & Networking
· Support Senior Access and Training Manager in the development of engagement plans and the identified ongoing relationships with community elders and other power brokers within IRC Ethiopia operational areas.
· Work to ensure that IRC, its mission, and work within Ethiopia is known and accepted.
· Maintain a network of contacts from relevant stakeholders.
· Contribute to documentation and organizational learning on access in IRC.
· Contribute to IRC regional and global access discussions and share lessons learned and best practices from Ethiopia.
Education and experience
· BA degree in Political Science, International Relations, Peace Studies, Law, or related social science fields.
· A minimum of 2 years of experience in supporting development of humanitarian access strategies and approaches within humanitarian assistance or development programs.
· Experience in support facilitation of trainings and impart learning to a wide range of audiences.
· Ability to gain a precise understanding of the various local, regional, country, and international policies, operational positions, and interactions, providing clear analysis of given and unfolding safety, security and political situations when they occur.
· Understanding of humanitarian principles and codes of conduct.
Skills and Abilities
· Excellent organization skills with proven ability to manage large amounts of information and prioritize work.
· Should be a strong collaborator with effective interpersonal skills and the capability to manage conflicting views.
· Strong ability to communicate concisely and with impact in English.
· Proficient in MS Office Suite.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work under pressure and attention to details
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5