Amref Health Africa is an African-led international health development organization headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. Founded in 1957 as the Flying Doctors of East Africa to bring critical health services to remote communities, Amref Health Africa envision to bringing lasting health change for Africain more than 30 countries across the continent. With a focus on women and children, the organization strives to overcome the most critical health challenges facing the continent: maternal and child health, HIV & TB, malaria, water and sanitation and health systems strengthening. Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia has been working in Ethiopia since 2002 in close collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health implementing a range of projects in maternal, neonatal and child health, reproductive health, health systems strengthening, health workforce development, water and sanitation, HIV/AIDS and non-communicable diseases across the country, supported by a wide range of multilateral and bilateral donors, corporates and foundations.
Amref Health Africa would like to recruit Program Director based in Addis Ababa (Country Office) and will report to Chief of Party.
The Program Director (PD) will ensuring the strategic and programmatic integrity of USAID’s Integrated Youth Activity (IYA), including leading the day to day implementation and coordination of all of IYA activities in the targeted regions. This position will develop and ensure timely implementation and submission of the IYA work-plan and reports to USAID. S/he will collaborate with the CoP and the Technical Director in supporting new and existing structures at the national and regional level leading the health, economic and social opportunities for youth. The PD will oversee the regional offices programmatic performance, their financial expenditures and support the Chief of Party (CoP) to coordinate and link all units, including managing consortium relationships at the country and headquarter level. S/he will share with the CoP the responsibility for ensuring that all IYA interventions comply with Amref and USAID’s policies, rules and regulations. The PD will nurture relations with respective ministries and institutions at the national and regional level working on women, children and youth; economic development; education and health and in-country consortium member staffs. This position will supervise program managers for the successful implementation of the grant.
|Technical leadership and capacity building||· Serve as core member of the activity leadership team responsible for providing strategic and technical leadership to the activity|
· Work with the CoP and the Techcnial Director in managing the regional offices and building the capacity of local youth organisations to sustainably advance the economic and social opportunities for youth
· Provide ongoing coaching and mentoring of the activity staff and partners
|Operational leadership||· Ensure that regional offices develop realistic and strategically focused annual program implementation plans and provide timely quarterly workplans, financial reports, logisitcs support and cash requests|
· Provide assistance to the regional managers in preparation and review of budgets and work plans and ensure such plans are implemented accordingly
· Lead the regional and program teams during annual planning & budgeting process in consultation with the COP and Technical Director
|Coordination and nurturing relationships||· Coordinate all IYA activities in the targeted regions|
· Serve as the liaison person responsible for nurturing relationships with local partner institutions
|Reporting, collaborative learning and adaptation||· Work with staff and partners to translate the activity objectives into implementable strategies and plans|
· Oversee the preparation of quarterly and annual activity reports, M&E reports, and other deliverables and report against the activity’s targets
· Liaise with the M&E Director to oversee iterative collaborative learning and adaptation activities and dissemination of lessons learned
|Mentorship and capacity building of youth organizations||· Mentor and build management and leadership capacity among senior staff in the organization|
|Grant management and enterprise development||· Oversee the activity sub-granting activities including liaising with the Finance and Operations Director to backstop financial management by the sub-grantees and ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations|
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· Master’s degree or higher in education, international development, non-profit management, or a closely related field;
· Minimum of 10 years of experience, including at least 7 years it in youth empowerment, education, economy and health development sphere related projects including familiarity with Positive Youth Development (PYD) approaches;
· Proven leadership qualities including a leadership style that is empowering to team members and follows principles of Positive Youth Development;
· Senior-level experience implementing large, complex donor-funded development programs;
· Experience in budget and financial oversight and/or sub-grant management;
· Excellent management and organizational skills including capacity to foster collaborative, supportive, and mutually-respectful relationships with both adult and youth leaders;
· Experience to cultivate strong working relationships with youth, senior officials in government, civil society organizations and the private sector;
· Familiarity with USAID policies, rules, regulations and reporting requirements;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Amharic.
In addition, successful candidates must be willing to travel more than 30% of the time within Ethiopia and periodically internationally. Ethiopian nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
This job posting is for an upcoming grant opportunity, and will be based on the award.
How to Apply
If you would like to join Amref’s team, please quote the position/reference number in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter with remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, through [email protected], or to the Human Resources Department, Amref Health Africa by P.O Box 20855/1000, Addis Ababa.
The closing date for submitting applications is April 18, 2021. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Ø Telephone call to the office is strongly forbidden.
Ø Candidates MUST refer the position title on the subject line of their email and application.
Ø Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Experience Level Manager
- Qualification BA/BSc