Internal / External Vacancy Announcement
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the following vacant positions the details of which are mentioned bellow.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 12 Regional Offices, 34 Zonal Branches and 131 District/Woreda Branches, 599 Woreda Red Cross Committee and 5871 Kebele Red Cross committees.
ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs relating to food security, climate change adaptation, livelihood diversification, and institutional capacity building interventions, with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. ERCS works in partnership with the Ethiopian Government, International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), partnering National Societies, members, volunteers and the communities we serve.
The Social Cohesion Project Coordinator, with support from the DRC Program Delegate, will be responsible for the overall management of the ERCS/DRC project titled “Social Inclusion and Cohesion – promotion of peaceful coexistence”, (the Project), funded by the European Union.
The Project seeks to improve the inclusion of vulnerable groups and strengthen community cohesion through the ERCS structures and volunteers by bringing community members together to improve communication, and collaboration, reduce stigma, and foster relationships and understanding. ERCS aims to reduce the risk and extent of harm to populations by bringing communities together and enhancing the capacity of individuals, and communities to manage tension and disagreements, find common ground, support each other, strengthen communal resilience, and secure their safety and dignity in four main target regions: Amhara, Tigray, Afar, and Benishangul Gumuz.
All Project activities are to be carried out through the established ERCS structures and will be guided by the Fundamental principles, values, and policies of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
The Social Cohesion Project Coordinator will ensure effective project implementation in accordance with the ERCS standards and the EU grant requirements including supporting and mentoring staff and volunteers implementing project activities in the target ERCS Branches
Project implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting
- Coordinate planning and designing activities in the target ERCS Branches as per the Project description and specific needs of vulnerable comminitues affected by displacement in respective regions
- Ensure effective and timely project implementation in accordance with the plan of action and logframe for the Project
- Ensure timely submission of narrative and financial reports to both ERCS and DRC, as per ERCS, DRC, and EU grant requirements
- Maintain regular monitoring of the Project progress and clear financial accountability by working closely with the finance team to maintain proper financial standards as per the ERCS/DRC financial SOPs and EU grant requirements
- Ensure safe, dignified, and quality service delivery to IDPs and host communities in accordance with RCRC Protection, Gender and Inclusion (PGI) and PSEA Policy
Capacity development and technical support
- Enhance the capacity of ERCS Branch Project staff and volunteers to deliver quality and timely services through on the job trainings and by facilitating workshops in coordination with the relevant colleagues and stakeholders
- Supervise, coach, and mentor project team in the HQ and target Branches
- Ensure the inclusion and coordination of all relevant stakeholders and ERCS staff in all stages of the project to ensure ownership and sustainability.
Representation and liaison
- Responsible for engaging in overall coordination platforms of the Project in collaboration with other partners as part of the EU Action (IOM, UNHCR, GIZ, IT.COOP and other relevant stakeholders/partners).
- Attend relevant coordination meetings to establish partnerships and enhance collaboration among relevant stakeholders at the national and state level
- Responsible for ensuring coordination between ERCS branches which are part of the Project to ensure synergies and learnings across the different project sites
- Support in advocacy and Humanitarian Diplomacy activities with relevant authorities and partners promoting the ERCS and the RCRC Movement policy on migration and displacement
Management and strategy development
- Make field-based recommendations to the ERCS and DRC Country Office on the best course of action to ensure the Project contributes to ERCS wider work in migration and displacement
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the ERCS Migration and Displacement policy and practice based on evidence and good practice
Work Unit: – Disaster Risk Management.
Reports to:- Migration and RFL Manager.
Terms of employment: – Contract for one year.
Place of Work: – Addis Ababa, with regular travel to the project target areas
Salary:- As per the organization salary scale
- Background in Social Sciences such as a Masters/ BA degree in Law, social work, conflict management, community development, psychology, sociology, anthropology, management, and related fields
- 8/10 years related work experience, out of which 2/4 years in senior managerial position(s)
- Experience in a similar position in a humanitarian organization or NGO and area of Social Cohesion Programming
- Experience working in the area of displacement (e.g. with internally displaced people, host communities, refugees and returnees)
- experience in project management including reporting
- Good leadership, organizational communication, and advocacy skills
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills for building synergies and collaboration with partners, beneficiaries, and donor agencies
- Ability to develop, monitor, report, and evaluate activities
- Strong facilitation skills and knowledge of adult learning methodologies
- Experience in supervision and mentoring
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, PowerPoint)
- Ability to effectively work remotely if necessary (via email, online)
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in the EU funded projects management is an asset
- Strongly committed to the Red Cross/Red Crescent’s fundamental principles, values, and policies
- Highly motivated and proactive in supporting people in need
- Able to successfully cooperate with authorities, local partners, and communities
- Team worker
- Able, willing, and committed to work with people with different backgrounds and experiences, including displaced populations in a vulnerable situation
- Able to guide staff, volunteers, and the affected population in a respectful manner
- Sensitive to the feelings expressed and behaviors displayed by the volunteers and affected population
- Mature, flexible, and able to work under pressure
- Willing to work in the field conditions, to travel extensively to project locations (50% of time),
- Ability to assume various roles and assignments as directed by the immediate supervisor within the scope of the ERCS mandate
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Manager
- Total Years Experience 10-20