TERMS OF REFERENCE
Design and website development – PHE Ethiopia Consortium
The Population, Health and Environment Ethiopia Consortium (PHE EC) is an Ethiopian Non-Government Organization that was initiated in November 2007, established in 2008, and received legal certification with registration number 1496 from the Federal Charities and Societies Agency in 2010. PHE EC comprises a network of 66 member organizations coordinated by a Secretariat based in Addis Ababa, which is governed by a board that is accountable to a general assembly of member organizations.
PHE EC works closely with its member organizations and partners at different levels to promote and cultivate comprehensive and collaborative responses to the multi-dimensional challenges associated with poverty and vulnerability in order to achieve sustainable development. This includes supporting the implementation of Population, Health and Environment (PHE) interventions through fund acquisition and technical assistance, conducting research and knowledge dissemination activities to identify and raise-awareness of good practices, promoting improved policies and programs to build an appropriate enabling environment, and actively engaging in capacity building, networking and coordination through a multi-sectorial approach.
- To have new interactive website. The aim for the new web sections and other webpages
- Proposed in this TOR is to address this request and use this opportunity to further promote interaction and collaboration among key users of the site.
- PHEEC is inviting proposals from reputable and qualified companies with a track record of success in designing and producing digital solutions to develop new templates for the current website. The templates will provide a new look and feel to the web and will unlock the potential functionalities of the current software while displaying the content in a more organized, attractive and user-friendly manner.
- The PHEEC website presents a new visual look and its functionalities are enhanced to provide a better platform and information dissemination mechanism in a way it allows to promote a user friendly and interactive website that looks like a consortium.
- Develop a user manual and deliver a webinar for the support staff and system administrators to perform Content upload, system maintenance and administration.
- Support and maintenance: Administrative and technical support, quality control for a period of 6 months.
- Source code handover: Full source code including all developed libraries shall be handed over to the office the deliverables shall contain the following main deliverables.
- New look and feel
Ensure a consistent visual language on the new site by introducing fixed styles in templates ensuring consistency in fonts, formatting, icons, images, layout techniques. The new look and feel should be adapted to homepage, sections, subsections and the following components
of the site: article template, resource webpage template, publication/guidance webpage template, country story webpage template, event webpage template. Standard page elements including header, footer, tabs, persistent navigation, contact us, email and page print options should be included in the new templates. The new templates should guarantee that most recent content on the site is captured in automatically in the homepage in an organized way following specific categories, tags or other custom taxonomies. All section and subsection webpages should incorporate functionalities to guarantee the latest information on that section and sub-section is displayed (news, resources, publication/guidance, country stories, events).The current sections and sub-sections of the site should be adapted using the new templates. These sections include around 1,000 blog posts and pages. Adapt the database of the PHEEC site to include new categories to display the information in an organic way.
- New sections
Based on the agreed templates develop four new web sub-sections to the PHEEC site based on, but not limited to the structure, functionalities and features defined in these terms of reference.
The new subsections webpages should incorporate functionalities to guarantee the latest information on that sub-section is displayed (news, resources, publication/guidance, country stories, events, members interactive page along with their website links).
- Functionalities to include in the new templates
- Social sharing features – including twitter , LinkedIn, Facebook share by text selection and twitter feed by handle and hash tag. Multiple page styles and custom post types;
Language options feature in resources and guidance templates;
- Search function by news, type of publication/guidance, type of resource, events, country story and issue;
- Search resources by free text;
- Signup for latest news;
Link the site with other platforms such as members and partners sites; Password protected pages.
- Knowledge transfer
Develop a user manual and deliver a webinar for the support staff and system administrators to perform content upload, system maintenance and administration.
- Support and maintenance
Support and maintenance: Administrative and technical support, quality control for a period of 6 months;
- Source code handover
Full source code including all developed libraries shall be handed over to PHEEC’s Technical team
- To create responsive CSS and graphic design elements and to integrate or adapt existing CSS and graphic design and make it responsive.
- Development of web sections and content upload Integration and final approval by the team test site before going live.
Deliverables clause once a company is selected, the contract may be amended with a time and materials to capture new specific developments on the site upon request of the PHEEC
- The successful company will participate in a debriefing session with the KIT and other programme areas to understand the overall project and expectations. Base on the debriefing session and this TOR, the company will develop a design concept for the site.
- The vendor will share proposals with the PHEEC team. The company will adjust concept based on feedback and comments from the PHEEC team.
- The vendor will develop the visual concept and language for the site adapting it to the different components outlined in the section “deliverables” and adjusting it based on feedback and comments from the PHEEC team.
The work setting for the assignment will include different aspects:
- Briefing/debriefing arrangements
A first meeting/conference call will be scheduled for the PHEEC technical team to brief the firm on the background Information to develop each of the requested deliverables.
- Reporting relationships and identification of responsibility for assessment of the services/outputs
- The company will work in close consultation and under the supervision of the Communications and Knowledge Management Department assigned expert. They will follow up the design process answering questions related to the documents.
- The Communications and Knowledge Management section of PHEEC in close consultation with the Team Leader of the designer will assess the services and outputs of the firm. Timing and duration of the assignment
PHEEC will grant access to the current PHEEC website code and content including web server administration Console, all documents and pages, plugins, themes and additional files.
Required Skills and Experience
Vendor should demonstrate and provide examples of previous experience in the performance of similar services as follows:
- Be a reputable firm with at least 3 years of prior experience designing visually appealing and navigation friendly web sites;
- Familiarity and relevant experience in using different Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Have a broad knowledge of current web development technologies and design tools in the field, and new software and other web programming languages and programs including use of HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML,XSLT, Macromedia Flash, word press or any latest PLs ;
- Have excellent knowledge of recent trends in graphic design, web sites, including online video publishing and social media networking;
- Demonstrate the ability to create innovative and visually appealing design;
- Key professional staff qualifications and competence needed for the assignment:
- Lead developer: The lead developer is responsible for the overall development process and assures that all code contributed is in line with coding standards. The lead developer should have extensive experience (at least four years) in programming and CMS development, including versioning of which at least two years are specific to Word Press CMS.
- The lead developer should be an expert in the below scripting and coding languages and standards: PHP, AJAX, Java Script, HTML (including version 5), CSS (including version 3).The lead developer is an expert in the use and configuration of the below applications: Word Press CMS, MySQL Database, Apache web server, Experience with other related applications is an advantage.
- The lead developer should be an expert in the use and configuration of the below products and techniques: Search engine optimization, Google Webmaster tools, Google developer tools, Mobile device adaptation.
- Junior developer: supports the lead developer with the overall development process.
- The junior developer should have at least two years of work experience in programming and CMS development, of which at least one year is specific to Word Press CMS. Graphic designer: The vendor will have a team of graphic designers with prior experience on designing websites with a solid portfolio of at least 4 years of experience.
- Graphical integrator supports the development team with the integration of graphic design and CSS elements. The graphical integrator has at least four years of experience with the CMS integration of responsive CSS and graphic design of which at least one year is specific to Word Press CMS.
- The graphical integrator should be an expert in the below scripting and coding languages and standards: HTML (including version 5), CSS (including version 3), PHP, Java Script (including JQuery).
- Junior migration expert supports the development team with the execution of manual and/or automated content migration. The junior migration expert works to assure the correct redirection of webpages after migration. The junior migration expert has at least two year of work experience in CMS publishing and configuration of which at least six months are specific to Word Press CMS.
- The junior migration expert has an eye for detail and a basic understanding of content development. The junior migration expert should have the capacity to write and read fluently in English. The junior migration expert should have experience with the below applications, scripting and coding languages and standards are also an advantage: PHP, Java Script (including J Query), HTML, CSS, MySQL Database.
Timeline and Place
- The duration of the contract will be six months and the expected starting date of right up on contact of the selected company
- The development of the website will commence right after the agreement and shall be ready in two-week’ time starting from the date of signing the contract.
- The user manual, webinar and the maintenance of the new webpages will be done as per the Contract.
- Place of work will be Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Payment Schedule and Timeline
The PHEEC website presents a new visual look and its functionalities are enhanced to provide a better experience to users
First term payment
New functionalities are developed and integrated in the PHEEC website and Develop a user manual and deliver a webinar for the support staff and system administrators to perform content upload, system maintenance and administration
Second Term Payment
- Support and maintenance: Administrative and technical support, quality control for a period of 6 months;
- Source code handover: Full source code including all developed libraries shall be handed over to PHEEC technical team. All templates should have the functionalities outlined in deliverables section
Documents To Be Included In The Proposal
- If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this contract, please submit:
A proposal describing the previous work done in this area;
- A portfolio of previous work of webs with similar functionalities developed in Word Press, ;
- CVs of the lead developer, junior developer, graphical integrator, graphic designer and junior migration expert in charge of this project to be included in the proposal; A financial proposal to address the work.
- The lump-sum fee which you propose for the consultancy should indicate the breakdown of all costs. This fee should be inclusive of ALL considerations.
Each of the submissions should be made in two separate envelopes or attachments (if submitted via email) for technical offer and financial offer (indicating; DO NOT OPEN IN ADVANCE). Offers that are not submitted separately will be deemed as disqualified and will not be assessed further.
Submissions will be evaluated in consideration of the following evaluation criteria:
- Evaluation Criteria – total 100 points
The work presented through the firm portfolio will be evaluated to assess the quality of the company’s work [30 points];
- Experience and qualifications of the team proposed to deliver the work by the company. This part of the evaluation will be based in the CVs of the individuals comprising the team that need to be share by the firm in their proposal [20 points];
- Experience in developing sites in Word Press CMS [30 points];
- Timeline to deliver the objectives of the assignment based on the deadlines provided in this document ;
- Experience working in the development sector producing high quality outputs [10 points];
- In order to qualify for further consideration, the company must accomplish a minimum score of 70 percent in
How to Apply
The technical offer. The financial offer will account for a maximum of 30 points.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Qualification BA/BSc