About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: TSFP Nurse
Location: Tuliguled, Somali Region
Number of Positions: One
Program / Department Summary
The project is intended to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with under nutrition and increased illnesses of conflict induced communities who do not have access to primary health care services and basic nutrition services.
General Position Summary
The TSFP nurse is responsible for management of moderate acute malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation through provision of supplementary foods, timely screening, health and nutrition education and capacity building and technical support to the Woreda Health Office on the management of moderate acute malnutrition.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
· Collaborate with other team member for effective integration between other services like Nutrition and health services
· Collaborate with Local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
· Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt the changing situation and context
· Plan and organize TSFP at the designated distribution sites in liaison with CMAM coordinator.
· Prepare plan of action for effective TSFP implementation in consultation with the CMAM coordinator.
· Provide supportive supervision to the Health Extension Workers (HEWs) and Food Distribution Agents (FDAs) at the TSFP sites.
· Work closely with the HEWs and FDAs to ensure all children are measured correctly.
· Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the HEWs and HWs, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP.
· Review the forms completed by the HEWs to ensure completion, accuracy and coherence
· Ensure HEWs and FDAs follow and respect the national protocols
· Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics.
· Work closely with OTP/SC Nurse to ensure all aspects of the programme are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the OTP.
· Follow-up and provide feedback to CMAM Coordinator on the amount and quality of the supplementary foods if it does not comply with specified quality standards.
· Report on progress and any problems in a timely manner.
· Ensure cases not meeting admission criteria return home as early as possible and care takers understand why their child is not admitted.
· Through liaison with the HEWs and FDAs, provide effective follow up of all cases: particularly tracing of children who are absent from the programme, sick children, children not gaining weight, and children with social problems etc.
· Provide On-the-Job training to HEWs and FDAs on the provision of key health and education messages to beneficiaries based the acceptable protocol and guidelines
· Respond to HEWs and FDAs inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the TFP sites.
· Providing Woreda Health Office staffs with technical support in convening meetings and answering questions on topics relevant to the project as necessary.
· Assist HEWs to compile the statistical data.
· Establish good relationship with the local authorities and community leaders.
· Establish link and meetings with the community leaders and different group existing in the working
· Perform any other duties requested by the immediate supervisor
· Organize and ensure the documentation of Health education and capacity building activities.
· Participate in dissemination of appropriate hygiene educational materials.
· Support the CMAM nurse and CMAM coordinators in Organizing and facilitating CMAM trainings
· Ensure health workers and HEWs follow and respect the national protocols
· Providing technical support for MC mobile and zonal/ woreda government health staffs on management of moderate acute malnutrition
· Inform the CMAM coordinators for any professional problems encountered
· Provided formal and on job training for health workers and HEWs and supportive MC Nutrition field workers and community mobilizers.
Finance & Compliance Management
Influence & Representation
· Liaise with concerned government authorities and ensure the programme strategy, objectives and activities are understood, agreed and appropriate communication channel is in place
· Participating in the Zonal/ Regional health and Nutrition Technical Working Group meetings, develop meeting agendas, documentation and dissemination of the technical working group meetings action point and recommendations.
· Liaise and coordinate with local stakeholders and MoH personnel regularly, reporting to them and giving them updates on activities.
· Collaborate with the potential partners on the field (health centres, health posts, committee leaders) to improve the coverage and the efficiency of the programs.
· Collaborate with partners where possible (e.g. UNICEF and WHO in nutrition/health assessments in the area that may have an impact on our programs).
Knowledge and Experience
- Diploma or BSC in Public health or Nursing, with Minimum four years working experience in NGOs environment as MHNT out of which two years in clinical setup.
- Solid technical skill on management acute malnutrition and technical support for health workers and HEWs
- Knowledge and experience in management of moderately malnourished children and PLWs
- Demonstrated skills in program planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Ability to lead mobile teams and able to create good team sprit among the group.
- Strong computer (Microsoft skills), and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Good command in written and spoken English and Local language.
- Good human relation skills.
- Willingness to work under pressure and extra hours
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in closely working with regional, Zonal and Woreda Health
- Ability to prepare program reports Knowledge in local language;
- Communication skill, good human relations
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 23 September, 2020/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
- Address Tuliguled, Somali
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Qualification BA/BSc