The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain ProgramProcurement and Supply Management Project (GHSC-PSM) in Ethiopia is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of United States Government (USG)-funded public health initiatives in Ethiopia. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the Presidents Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), Presidents Malaria Initiative (PMI) and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, GHSC-PSM will develop and manage a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain management initiatives in collaboration with FMOH, PFSA and other partner organizations.
GHSC-PSM Ethiopia supports country strategies and priorities that fall under the following three project objectives:
- Health commodity procurement and logistics,
- Systems strengthening technical assistance, and
- Global and local collaboration to improve long-term availability of health commodities.
The Communications Specialist will report directly to the GHSC-PSM Knowledge Management and Communications Manager and is responsible for the implementation of the program communications strategy, internally and externally, and compliance with USAID communications requirements for GHSC-PSM in Ethiopia. This long-term position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with intermittent travel throughout the programs target regions as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of the projects communications and knowledge exchange strategy.
- Set as needed internal and external communications standards, guidelines, processes and protocols.
- Work closely with the M&E and technical teams to identify data, stories, and articles for communications materials.
- Stay informed of all major issues in the Ethiopian health sector and of GHSC-PSM strategies and methods, programs and activities, results and achievements, and on best practices, lessons learned and success stories so that project communication is rich, diverse and well grounded.
- In collaboration with Technical Director, Team Leaders, and other technical personnel, draft or edit, finalize and ensure the publication and dissemination of written materials and website content on the project, health system and needs of the Ethiopian population.
- Materials and content may include abstracts, reports, presentations, brochures, articles, press releases, speeches, briefings and update notes, blog posts, and social media content.
- Ensure compliance with all contract requirements (including branding and marking) that relate to reporting (such as the Quarterly and Annual Progress Reports) and draft program statements describing connections between implementation and results for submission to the Chemonics USAID/GHSC-PSM leadership team, FMOH, PFSA, and USAID.
- Manage distribution process of communications material so the right information gets to the right audiences at the right time.
- Provide support to the project leadership in maintaining effective communications with USAID, FMOH, PFSA, other partner organizations, and stakeholders, including timely response to requests for information.
- Assist the Country Director and other Directors with managing media relations.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by supervisor of record.
- BA/Masters degree in communications, public health, knowledge management, international development or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in a similar communications role, within international development organizations.
- Experience living or working in developing and transitioning countries.
- Experience working in international public health programs strongly preferred.
- Technical experience interacting with USG (especially USAID), including three years of experience working with USG-funded organizations.
- Proven ability to organize, summarize, and rewrite technical information for non-expert audiences.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills (writing samples will be requested), facilitation and negotiating skills.
- Experience facilitating workshops and trainings in communication skills.
- Familiarity with social media.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and use good judgment.
- Proven ability to work effectively in teams in a multi-cultural context.
- Familiarity with current USAID branding guidelines.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Address Addis Ababa
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Qualification BA/BSc