Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
Our Work in Ethiopia
Since the early 1970s, we have been working to address the underlying causes of poverty and marginalization by focusing on developing sustainable livelihoods, providing water and sanitation, agriculture, climate research, gender, and humanitarian issues.
|DIVISION: Operations||TEAM: Progamme|
|LOCATION: Gambella Region, Ethiopia||CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed Term (1 year)|
|GRADE: C1, International||JOB FAMILY: Programme|
|SALARY: As per the Oxfam benefit package||HOURS: 37.5 per week|
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at the interview stage
Is responsible for the strategic development and management of the country Humanitarian program.
Supports Oxfam’s impact locally, regionally, continentally and globally through ensuring Humanitarian program alignment to the key strategic objectives and program standards.
Provides strategic leadership and support to resource mobilisation efforts.
Ensure that the humanitarian programmes make the proper shift, with the quality needed to ensure a proper achievement of the Ethiopia Oxfam Strategy. Ensures that the promotion of women’s rights is at the heart of all Oxfam in Ethiopia’s program work.
Lead the design, implementation, management and coordination of effective and appropriate large-scale humanitarian interventions. This includes country humanitarian strategic management, representation, coordination, programme management, advocacy and programme support at senior levels.
- Strategic Management and Leadership
- Lead the Management Team in the overall planning and strategic management of Oxfam – Ethiopia Gambella mission.
- Within and beyond Gambella region, develop and maintain a network for Humanitarian actors and issues. Represent Oxfam to donors and diplomatic missions and communicate Oxfam public policy and advocacy positions as and when appropriate to institutions, government, international, UN national and local organisations as required.
- Coordinate the various grants including consortium ones implemented by Oxfam and partners as part of Gambella Refugee Response Program
- Participate in resource mobilization and negotiation of appropriate resources in collaboration with the Humanitarian Program Manager and Oxfam Grants Manager.
- Maintain an analysis of the humanitarian context in Gambella and use this to inform interventions.
- Liaise closely with Oxfam programmes and other key institutions and allies in Gambella region and nationally and monitor key indicators.
- Develop mechanisms for monitoring and evaluation of the refugee response programmes.
- Work with team members to link refugee response programmes to other programming, including advocacy and longer-term programmes.
- To contribute to implementation of Oxfam’s Country Strategy with a focus on humanitarian preparedness, response and protection.
- To be an active participant in Gambella region planning and analysis; understand relevant country, regional and global objectives.
- As part of the Oxfam Gambella Management Team, and Oxfam Gambella Security Team, ensure that Oxfam’s organisational policies are met and actively contribute to the overall strategic development of the country programme, taking the lead on humanitarian related issues.
- Humanitarian Preparedness, Response and Programme Management
- Lead Gambella Refugee Response Programme design and development of appropriate contingency plans, and related preparedness and mitigation strategies, including capacity building initiatives, to ensure Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate can be met at all times.
- Ensure relevant Oxfam partners have updated humanitarian contingency plans and that key staff are trained on the same.
- Before humanitarian crises, lead the preparedness process in Gambella by ensuring that well-trained human resources are always ready to act, and material resources are pre-positioned in strategic locations.
Programme Management and Response
- Provide strategic and effective leadership in pulling together Oxfam’s humanitarian response and any scale up of the same: this includes but is not limited to coordination within Oxfam nationally, regionally and globally on humanitarian issues but also to take or ensure an appropriate leading coordination role in the overall national / local response as can be expected with regards to Oxfam’s size and technical expertise.
- Manage and take the lead on strategic development of the on-going refugee response programme in Ethiopia and the Emergency Preparedness and Response Team, serving affected people annually within WASH, Emergency Food Security & Livelihoods, gender and protection.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with Country Technical Coordinators, Head of Development Programme, Partnership Capacity Building Specialist, Gender Coordinator and Advocacy/Policy colleagues to encourage and strengthen Oxfam’s one programme approach.
- Develop and manage an appropriate response to humanitarian crises in line with agreed standards (e.g., Core Humanitarian Standards, Code of Conduct; SPHERE, Oxfam Gender Policy etc.) and Oxfam’s best practices.
- Lead on enhancing Oxfam’s ability to respond in a timely, appropriate, accountable and cost-effective manner to humanitarian crises in programme areas, with a focus on programme quality beneficiary and partner accountability.
- Ensure that Oxfam meets all contractual obligations and achieves high quality proposals and that all donor reports are submitted on time to the Funding Department and are of high quality.
- Recruit and line manage refugee response programme staff as required in accordance with Oxfam’s Performance Management process and proactive staff development including objective setting, performance review and personal development plans. Ensuring all aspects of Oxfam’s work in Ethiopia e.g., programme themes and aims, gender equity, protection advocacy is reflected in own and staff objectives.
- Provide required inputs to other departmental strategies, including but not limited to advocacy, gender, protection and development and support relevant policy issues.
- Support partner organisations in developing and delivering projects within agreed parameters where appropriate.
- Contribute to regional analysis and programming as appropriate, in particular, seek opportunities for Oxfam and others to learn from the Ethiopia experience.
- Ensure that Oxfam’s programme is cost effective, efficient and complies with all organisational standards of management and accountability.
- Ensure that the programme is implemented in a consultative, participative and gender sensitive way.
- Ensure that key humanitarian information of the refugee response programme is circulated appropriately, within Oxfam and with external counterparts.
- Report regularly to the CLT, Country Humanitarian Leads and Program Director as appropriate with agreed indicators against the overall objectives.
- Represent Oxfam in appropriate humanitarian and refugee for a at a Gambella and national level with government authorities, UN organisations, NGO’s, private sector and donor agencies.
- Maintain and further develop Oxfam’s existing network of key humanitarian contacts nationally, regionally and globally.
- Raise the profile of refugee context and Oxfam’s programmes through participation in Gambella and national humanitarian fora at senior levels.
- Influence and advocate on refugee issues through media, communications and key meetings, alone and together with others as appropriate.
Support direct line reports at senior level in facilitating solutions to any issues with other departments as required in order to enhance programme delivery and contribute to the improvement of programme/technical support functions.
Most importantly, every individual at Oxfam GB needs to be able to:
- Live our values of INCLUSION, ACCOUNTABILITY, EMPOWERMENT, SOLIDARITY, COURAGE, AND EQUALITY
- Equality: We believe everyone has the right to be treated fairly and to have the same rights and opportunities.
- Empowerment: We acknowledge and seek to expand people’s agency over their lives and the decisions that impact them.
- Solidarity: We join hands, support, and collaborate across boundaries in working towards a just and sustainable world.
- Inclusiveness: We embrace diversity and difference and value the perspectives and contributions of all people and communities in their fight against poverty and injustice.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our actions and inaction and hold ourselves accountable to the people we work with and for.
- Courage: We speak truth to power and act with conviction on the justice of our causes.
- Ensure you commit to our THREE ORGANISATIONAL ATTRIBUTES:
|1. Be committed to equal opportunities: demonstrating sensitivity to culture differences and gender equality.||2. Be willing to learn and apply gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity and inclusion across all aspects of your work.|
|3. Be committed to undertaking Oxfam’s safeguarding training and adhering to relevant policies, to ensure all people who come into Oxfam are as safe as possible.|
- Ensure you actively ADOPT OXFAM’S FEMINIST LEADERSHIP APPROACH and applying the principles and twelve practices in your work. Read more about this here:
|For this role, we have selected two of the most relevant feminist Leadership practices for this role.|
2 Mutual accountability
3 Strategic Thinking and Judgment
SKILS, Experience, Knowledge & Competencies
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Manager
- Total Years Experience 10-20