The social worker is responsible for providing quality and consistent psychosocial services for the children to deal with past trauma, abuse, and abandonment so they can rebuild their lives and look to the future. She helps children develop positive social skills and behaviors, learn non-violent ways of expressing emotions, especially anger and frustration, and grow in self-worth and self-esteem. In addition, the employee is responsible for family tracing and supporting children to reunify with their families or reintegrate into alternative care. Accurate and timely documentation of services provided to the children is essential.
Department – Programmes
Location – Lydia Lighthouse, Addis Ababa
Reporting To – Head of Social Work Department
Provide psychosocial support to children to prepare them for reintegration.
– Provide counselling and therapeutic interventions for the children
– Provide training Life Skills training for the children at the Lighthouse
– Participate in regular child care reviews to assess the progress of children through the Hope for Justice programmes
– Travel to rural areas to reunify children with their families and follow them up
– Provide families during the reunification process with training in effective parenting and child protection as well as emotional/psycho-social support to care for their children within the family.
Provide families with an IGA grant and small business skills training to strengthen the families’ economic stability, if necessary.
– Provide older children who growing in independence and learning skills with support to manage their own lives independently
– Conduct awareness raising in the community about dangers of domestic work, trafficking, child labor
– Keep good, accurate and confidential records of all counselling sessions
– Make appropriate professional referrals for children who require psychiatric assessment/treatment
maintain policies, procedures, and systems that provide the requisite safeguarding measures for children accessing our services in collaboration with the country DSO.
– Uphold and work within Hope for Justice’s policies and procedures, including Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection policies.
– Promote Hope for Justice’s core values of Honoring, Openness, Professionalism and Empowerment across the organization and partners
– Undertake any other duties, as appropriate to the post, as delegated by Project Manager
– Represent the organization in different review meeting, workshop and network meetings.
Experience & Education
– BA in Social work, Psychology or Sociology
– At least 3 years’ experience working in a senior position
– Experience working with vulnerable children and families
– Children received quality & Consistent psychosocial service
– Children improved their self-esteem and social skill and be ready for reunification
– Families traced and supported for sustainable family reunification- Afan Oromo language proficiency is an advantage
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter in English including your Gross or Net salary Expectation in ETB.
to Hope for Justice via email [email protected] in PDF or Word format.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please put the position you are applying for (Social Worker, Lydia Lighthouse, Addis Ababa) in the subject line.
Closing Date: November 30/2022
The Hope for Justice promotes diversity in the workplace. Regardless of age, marital status, ethnicity, sex, color, country of origin, religion, or sexual orientation, Hope for Justice evaluates all applicants solely on their merits.
- Address Ethiopia
- Experience Level Mid level
- Total Years Experience 0-5